⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯ 4 ◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆

"You can open your eyes now," a soft voice spoke.

I snapped my eyes open as the baby in my arms cooed. I'm on the floor. I am alive. I'm still holding the baby.

"Oh my gosh, you're alive!" I burst. Folding away a part of the blanket to reveal a smiling baby!

"It's fine. What about you?"

I startled as I looked up. Bent down on his knees in front of me is a boy. He smiled at me, making dirt fall down his messy head of brown hair.

"I'm fine," I said uncomfortably. I shifted the baby away from him as I stood up. Catching a glimpse of his back

"Oh my goodness!" I yelled. Grabbing his shoulder and spinning his back to face me. It's bleeding and pelted with stones. That's why I'm not bruised and beaten by the ruble.

"I would think my face is my most handsome feature. But if you find my back more attractive, I won't complain." He shrugged, flinching in pain before turning back to face me.

I gave him a confused smile. "I don't get what you're trying to do, but let me clean that up for you." I handed him the baby and made him sit down. There's no point in taking his shirt off since it's practically ripped off him. What is wrong with him? Why did he do that?

I found a painkiller in the medical bag and handed it to him. Wishing I had something else for him instead of letting him dry swallow it. I glanced at the baby, softly sleeping, all coddled up in his lap.

Did he come from the nursery downstairs? Are there more people there?

It took me a bit of time to clean up his back. Most of the bleeding was from large scrapes and cuts, but nothing majorly deep.

"Is it a boy?" I pointed at the baby as I finished putting left over gauze in my pack. I sat against the wall, watching him.

"I don't know," he said. I must have looked confused since he started to explain. "I was on the third floor when the earthquake happened. One of the women kept trying to get everyone to take one of the babies from the infirmary. This one was given to me."

"What happened to everyone else?" Where are they? Did everyone already find a way out of the building?

"Let's just say this baby is lucky. The others..." His sentence failed to continue as he tried to find the word to describe what he saw.

My stomach hollowed out. "Everyone?"

"That's what I thought until I met you," he smiled. "I really thought I was the only one left. What about you?"

This can't be real. There's way to many people, there has to be more survivors. I covered my mouth, before I woke the baby. Those children are dead? All of them. Gone.

Carefully, he put down the baby and quietly hugged me. I feel sick. I shook my head as he looked painfully at me. What did we do for this to happen?

That can't be real. He's lying. I need to just focus on everyone else so we can get out of here. I sat up straighter, pulling away from him.

"I'm not the only one," I said, remembering Crete and the others.

"Who?" He asked quietly.

"Crete. He's looking for me. He's going to find us. He'll find us, and you can come with us to find the others. Lorelei, Dowin, Leo, Alice, they all are alive, and we're going to get them."

He still sounds skeptical. "Your not joking."

"Why would I do that?" The baby's adorable coo made me smile as I picked it up. I'm almost laughing now at the thought that we were the only ones alive.