Old Habits

4 days had passed since Horikita Manabu's defeat and the first Class D exams. Sora was sitting in the Keyaki café with Suzune Horikita and his younger sister Shiro.

" That strategy seems to have worked for this time, it doesn't seem to pay off in the long run though."

"Yeah. The exams seem to bring private points to the classes based on results. We don't gain anything in points with this strategy so it won't help us advance to class A. It was an emergency measure, but our next goal will be to teach Class D students how to study properly."

Sora and Suzune were reviewing the exams that had just finished; their strategy had been to ask the whole class not to write anything on their papers so that everyone would get a mark of 0.

Since the rule for passing was to have a score of at least half the average, this meant that with an average of 0 everyone passed by default.

To ensure that such a strategy worked smoothly, everyone agreed not to take any pens out on the table, and to keep an eye on each other. The first student to start writing would push all the others to do the same, in which case it would be everyone for themselves, the worst-case scenario for class D, which would have suffered a lot of losses.

"We were lucky, with unstable people like Kouenji it could have turned out much worse."

"Yes, Kouenji is not generally open to negotiation however given that the exercise consisted of asking him to do nothing, it suited him perfectly."

Kouenji, a brilliant student in class D, never got involved in the class and focused only on himself. He already had his future mapped out by the end of high school, so there was no reason for him to try harder than he did.

However, his unstable nature showed in any case that such strategies were not viable in the long term.

"We've been able to identify the weakest profiles in the class, and we're going to find a solution for each of them. As for you Suzune... I'd say you can handle Sudou!"

Sora replied with a teasing little smile; he'd clearly noticed that Sudou had started to have a crush on her since she'd defended him in class, so she was in the best position to motivate him to work.

"He's already well motivated..."

Shiro added as she sipped on her juice, since that incident he seemed to be showing a decisive resolve to prove himself to Suzune.

"Even though he's shown positive sides, he's still rather unstable however as long as he shows investment I won't mind helping him."

As usual, Suzune Horikita was very serious, completely ignoring the jokes she received. It was true that people like Sudou could quickly fall into old habits. At the moment, Suzune was what was driving him forward, but if that reason disappeared, he'd be back to his old self.

"Yes, we have to make sure that he places some importance on studies and discipline on his own."

"But that's not the only problem..."

Shiro said, putting her mobile phone on the table, she had written down in her notes the full names of the other students who were risking their place in this high school at the moment.

"Sakura Airi... I don't know who that is."

Suzune said, rummaging through her memories.

"She wears red glasses and has long red hair, she never talks and is very discreet around people so I'm not surprised you don't know her."

Sora reminded her, remembering her face simply because he thought she was very cute, but he didn't dare say it because he felt he was about to be hit by a compass.