Potential & Growth

One week after the results were announced, in a school cafeteria near the Keyaki Center, Horikita met with Hirata and Kushida to settle an urgent matter.

"This doesn't look good at all."

"If it continues like this..."

"Yes..."

The three leaders of Class D were at an impasse. Midterms were fast approaching but Class D was far from ready.

"Sudou-kun, Ike-kun, Yamauchi-kun, Airi-san and a few other students, that's quite a few people..."

"We've done enough, it's too bad for them."

Horikita was straightforward as usual. Indeed, despite all the efforts that Hirata and the others had made to help the worst students to study, it had not been enough and their level was clearly not enough to face these first exams. Kushida was immersed in her thoughts, continuing to dig for solutions deep inside herself but nothing worked.

The gaps that these students had were too big to fill in a few weeks of preparation. They would have needed at least a few more days. At this point it was doomed.

"Did you get anything out of it on your end Hirata?"

"I tried to contact my friends from the other years but they said they didn't keep any of the class notes from previous years..."

"That was our last hope... With class sheets they could have reviewed information faster, otherwise it's impossible."

"I guess we just have to rely on them to work out a miracle..."

It was a reality that none of the three of them believed in, it was impossible for people like them to make it without outside help at this point. Hirata was particularly affected and couldn't get used to the idea of being separated from his classmates. He continued to browse his phone aimlessly, hoping to find a solution.

Horikita and Kushida seeing him trying didn't feel like giving up immediately either, Horikita initially had no interest in making so much effort for the weak students but she had been particularly touched by Sudou's efforts. Even if she didn't realize it yet.

One click after another, Hirata kept browsing his phone.

His brain in turmoil, looking for any new idea.

As he browsed through the photos on his phone, he realized something.

Something obvious that he hadn't noticed at all but that would potentially save his classmates' futures.

" Yes, that's it!"

He was so happy that he stood up from his chair and pushed it away, making a noise that drew the attention of those around. Slightly embarrassed, he sat down again and began to whisper to his group.

"Look!"

He said, turning his cell phone towards the eyes of Kushida and Horikita. The picture that was displayed in front of them was of a quiz, a quiz they were familiar with since it was the mock exam they had taken a few days earlier.

"Mh? Why are you showing us this Hirata-kun?"

Kushida couldn't figure out what Hirata was getting at.

Horikita observed further and noticed something.

"This picture... it's not yours, or am I mistaken?"

"No, precisely. It's not a picture from this year, it was a picture from the old exams that a friend sent me. I hadn't paid attention to it earlier because I had preferred to practice with the real exams rather than the mock ones!"