Meritocracy

Sora was lying on his bed thinking about all the information he had recently obtained, he was also mentally revisiting the plan or rather the plans he was going to put in place afterwards. It was slightly hot in their small student room so the air conditioning was on. Shiro was sitting on the floor playing the console, while reading some of the information they had learned in class in a few seconds. For someone like her, it was as simple as glancing at each page to have every word and comma memorized.

"The S-system huh..."

Sora knew what was coming. He understood that classes weren't made up randomly and if it continued like this his own class was going to finish last. He tried his best to think about the situation. Class A and class B were two classes made up of serious and involved students, class C's profile was still hard to determine, and class D was considered the class of the worst students.

"Why?"

He asked the question to himself, in a voice low enough to not break Shiro's concentration. He knew that there was a system of exams in this school that would allow his class to move up in the rankings if they won the exams in question. But there was one major problem with this system: inequality.

The school had distributed the students unequally, so in theory it was impossible for a class like class D to move up to class A, therefore why did this system exist? Why was there a system of competition when there was an inequality between the distribution of students in the classes ?

Thinking about it further, he didn't even understand why class D was the class of the worst students, sure there were some troublemakers but generally the class had some good profiles as well. Kushida and Hirata were extremely popular and seemed to be academically involved. Horikita, despite her isolation, was still heavily involved in reading so she certainly had the academic abilities of a Class A student as well. He still didn't quite know all of his classmates, but he was certain of one thing: he was missing a crucial piece of information.

Information that would allow him to understand why such a system existed despite the inequality that was in place. To get such information, he needed to know more about his class, and to do that he needed to enable Class D to unite.

He also needed to understand why people like him and Shiro, despite their clean record on the exam, were placed in class D. At first he thought it was a random assignment but since each class was defined for a specific purpose, their presence in this class also had a purpose.

Class D was a class with various profiles, many of these profiles were incompatible with each other, Sora knew that if he wanted to unite the class then he had to somehow make these profiles find a point of compatibility.

He then also thought about the email he had received, a person who had invited them to this school had demanded Sora and Shiro to "win the game". If that was the case, then that would explain why they were in class D. If class A was the class that was entitled to all the merits and rewards, then winning the game meant moving up to class A.

The competitiveness between classes was a team game, the kind of game Sora and Shiro hated, but if Sora didn't want to lose his sister then he had to take whatever means necessary to succeed.

On May 1, rankings were going to be established, based on the performance of each class, they would be assigned their true rankings based on class points. This was what Yoshino had explained. The class points were assigned according to different criteria. The system in this school was based on collective responsibility, one student's punishment is the punishment of the whole class.

"In other words..."

If Sora didn't deal with the disruptive people in her class quickly, they would lose all their class points and end up at the bottom of the class. Horikita, Sudou, Kouenji, Ike, Yamauchi, and a few other names came to mind, all of these people in one way or another could pose a risk to the class. Horikita's lack of cooperation could be a reason for negative points as could Sudou's aggressive behavior.