Of course it was a futile promise, Kit always got distracted and lost track of time. He was just forgetful; important information seemed to fall right out of his head. He'd been reading for hours without even so much as a hint as to how much time had gone by. Kit's focus was certainly hard to catch, but once caught it was nearly impossible to sever away. If he wanted to get back without anyone panicking, he'd have to move quickly.

He rolled over onto his knees and grabbed his red sweatshirt, pulling it around his shoulders. When he stood up there were two wet patches on the knees of his jeans and he shifted uncomfortably. It was what he deserved for his own foolishness, he decided.

The boy then began looking around the base of the tree for his book, which he'd somehow misplaced. It was sitting a few feet away from him, as he must have accidentally kicked it while standing.

Lighting struck somewhere in the distance and Kit jumped in shock. In seconds he was jogging back to the town like a little bunny returning to his burrow. Rain was one thing, but lightning was something else entirely.  He'd had about enough of nature, and was not going to sit around in a lightning storm. He was jumpy among other things and lightning always startled him.

The emerald green canopy cast by the tall aging oak trees was doing its best to block as much of the rain as possible, but it was still heavy and it dripped off the trees at almost the same rate. Kit's upper body was soaked as he ran and he tugged his sweatshirt tighter around his shoulders, quickening his pace.

As another crack of thunder sounded, Kit prepared himself for more lightning, but none came and he was relieved. Still, he was angry with himself for being silly enough to get into this mess. Sure, when Kit left the library it had been a calm and clear day but he ought to have checked the forecast before running off alone.

He should have done a million things. He should have told someone where he was going so they could find him if he got struck by lightning. He should have brought an umbrella. He should have even just stayed at the library like he told Fr. Charles he was going to. Kit's mind was always scattered with thoughts, most of them unjust in their judgment of his own character.

The boy hated that he was forgetful and didn't always think things through, it was one of his least favorite parts of himself, but he simply couldn't get his mind to keep track of what was and wasn't important.

Of course, he knew he couldn't have told Fr. Charles that he was going out into the forest; he wasn't allowed there. Fr. Charles had actually forbidden him to be there at all. Too dangerous, he'd been told. Wild animals, he'd been told. Though he never saw anything more wild than the occasional deer or bunny rabbit. Kit wasn't one to break rules, but he discovered a small loophole that still allowed him to return to the forest: as long as he said he was going to read his caretaker would just assume he went to the library. And Kit would never have to lie.

Kit's shoe smashed accidentally into a puddle and the cold water rushed inside. He was shivering harshly, his whole sweater having been soaked through. It made him feel awful and ungrateful for going out like that. Everyone was just trying to protect him and he'd thrown it all away for a couple of minutes alone. Peace was important, but it wasn't so important as to make the man who'd taken him in feel unappreciated.

He scolded himself for this. Here he was running through the forest in a lightning storm and it was exactly what he deserved for his own incompetence. He shook his head from those thoughts as he almost tripped over the branch of a tree; it was too much to be worrying about. He regretted going out into the forest and regretted not being truthful to Fr. Charles, but he had to focus on getting home.

Kit attempted to steady and regulate his breath as he picked up his pace and ran faster. That, rather than worrying about stupid mistakes he'd made, was going to get him home in one piece.