Chapter 27 - Ryan's POV

Start from the beginning

Enzo looks between us for a beat, "I told him that our family is in the mafia. That he has no idea who you really are or what you're really capable of. And I reminded him of what happens to men who hurt the women of our family."

I listen to him in horror. What the actual flying fuck was he thinking? Elle's entire body is trembling and for a moment, fear coats her features. This is it; he's fucked us.

"Why?" Elle seethes.

"I thought he'd leave you alone," Enzo grunts as Elle puts more pressure on his chest.

"I had it handled," she retorts.

"What is wrong with you?" I exclaim, shaking my head.

"Get off of me," Enzo shoves Elle's foot away and rises to his feet. He squares his shoulders and tilts his chin up. "I knew he'd leave you alone if I told him who you are. He'll be too scared to even look at you now. I was helping."

"Helping what?" I scoff.

"You fucked us!" Elle explodes. It's utterly terrifying when this happens. Her typical calm and collected self is now radiating fury.

"You shortsighted fucking asshole! You have absolutely fucked us! I worked so hard to make everything perfect, so goddamned hard, and you ruined it!"

"It's one person," Enzo rolls his eyes. "Not like anyone would believe him even if he started talking."

"That's not the fucking point!" Elle shrieks.

"What?" Enzo goads. "Was I not supposed to interfere with your little stalker? It's almost like you want that creeps attention."

There's not a single thought in my mind as I punch him in the jaw. He takes a staggered step back but lifts his fists in front of his face. He blocks another punch to the face but I just land one on his ribs instead.

He grabs his side, dropping his arms, and I punch him in the nose. Blood begins to drip down his face but I don't stop. I land hit after hit to his face, a couple to the ribs and gut as well.

The room falls apart as we fight. Chair knocked over, desk materials thrown to the floor, dents in the walls. There's blood on the floor as more and more splits appear on his face.

"Stop," Elle places her hand on my forearm.

I have Enzo pinned against his wardrobe, fist poised to strike. Tears fill her eyes and I slowly lower my arm. I keep him pinned there, however, as Elle stands at my side.

"I'm going to try and fix this," her voice has returned to its eerily calm tone. "And you are going to stay the fuck away from me. I've tried so hard to help you, Zo, but I'm done. You could not have possibly done anything worse than this."

Enzo spits blood onto the ground at her feet, "fuck off."

Elle punches him in the ribs and he groans. She steps closer and digs her manicured finger into his chest.

"I'm not afraid of having you dealt with, fratello," she threatens. "You've done the most atrocious thing that anyone in our family could ever do."

"What-"

"You broke omertà, Lorenzo," I spit out.

His eyes widen in realization, flicking between his sister and me. He could die for this; and I believe he's beginning to comprehend that fact. He could be disowned and shot dead in the street. No funeral, no mourning; just a fucking rat exterminated.

I release him and he drops to the floor. He doesn't try to get back up though, he stays sitting on the hardwood staring straight ahead. I look at Elle and quirk a brow.

"I'm going to clean up your fucking mess," Elle huffs. "Count your blessings, Enzo. I hold your life in the palm of my hands, now."

I turn and storm out of his room. If I stay any longer I really might kill him. Fuck orders, fuck the chain of command; I want to kill the Don's only son. But I'm not that stupid. So I wait in the hallway, still shaking. I need a fucking smoke.

Elle strides into the hallway moments later, slamming the door shut behind her. She's still trembling and I can see the tears threatening to spill.

I take her hand and lead her back downstairs, through the maintenance door, and outside. She runs her hand down her face as we walk towards the lake. I pull out a cigarette and light it.

"Stai bene?" I hesitantly ask.
(Are you okay?)

A choked sob leaves her lips and I quickly wrap her up in my arms. Elle cries into my chest, arms snaking around my waist. I keep her held tight, my one hand rubbing up and down her back. She doesn't cry often, she isn't pushed to her breaking point easily, so this right here. This is a big fucking deal.

"It's okay," I whisper reassuringly. "We've got this. It's going to be okay."

"I can't do this anymore," she chokes out.

"What are you talking about?"

"I can't keep living two separate lives," she sobs. "I can't do it. Not when I have to keep track of my brother. Not when he's already pulled the string."

I just hold her a little tighter. She's right; he's pulled the string that threatens to unravel the years of well thought out lies that Elle has used to create the perfect life here. To balance two lives, like both of us have to, is stressful enough as it is. But for Enzo to threaten the very fabric that holds it all together, I guess that's her breaking point.

"It's okay," I whisper. "I've got you. I've always got you."

"It would be so much easier if he was just dead," she croaks. I stop rubbing her back and lean back to look over her face.

"You don't mean that."

"I know exactly what I'm saying," she counters quickly.

I nod slowly before releasing her from the embrace. I take a long drag of my cigarette as I watch her compose herself. I really should tell Rocco about this; I am still in training after all.

But I also know that him and Luca would pull us from the school immediately. Probably make us go back to America and their shitty education system. Clearly that's not what either of us want which means we have to deal with this ourselves.

"I'll talk to Duke tomorrow," I finally offer.