Chapter: XXXXXXIII

°•. ❃ .•°
̶̶̶̶  «̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ «̶ ̶̶̶  The End of The Light    ̶ ̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶  

≪ °❈° ≫

Eclipse had passed, the burning night extinguished and the sky lit up by the bright sun. 

Smoke of the destroyed shuttles and ships continued tainting the air in the distance and fallen soldiers only sunk deeper in the large seas by every second. 

The family had made it back towards the boulder the chief's children awaited them on. 

Ao'nung not resting his eyes from the horizon for a second until he had caught the sight of them and the one person he was waiting for. 

The single in-ear monitor the girl had shared in his trembling hand as the voices on the other side had haunted him for hours. 

Off of Payakan's fin the adults helped their children. Jake moving to lift his unresponsive daughter to her feet and without meeting one's eyes she accepted his hands and shakily walked on the sharp surface. 

Neytiri, along with Tuk hadn't granted anyone, beside the resting boy, a look as they immediately ran to his side, holding him close while Tsireya finally distanced herself and accepted Lo'ak's consolation. 

Awaiting, Ao'nung's breath was heavy, shaking and short until he caught sight of the torn girl and ran towards the father who struggled staying on his own feet himself. 

From underneath the man's hold the boy almost dismissed the father and couldn't help the way his hands reached for her cold skin. 

With his palm at the back of her head he lowered down to her height and attempted finding her gaze, but getting to see her breathing was enough for him to ignore the lack of light she held in her eyes. 

Looking up at the father who watched the sorrowful boy he nodded once and carefully let go of his daughter for the boy to take his place. 

Immediately his hands held her cold face and he carefully lifted her chin. 

Scanning every crevice and cut the boy watched her search his eyes before she blinked in recognition. Her cold trembling fingers wrapped around both wrists almost in support while a trembling breathe escaped her nose. 

Ao'nung's heart hurt at the sight. The girl under his eyes was so delicate, broken, unrecognisable. 

With his thumb he caressed the stray tear away and carefully pulled her close. Entirely defeated the girl let him wrap both hands around her body. A second passed before Ao'nung felt the girl's knees tremble, slowly he lowered down, her eyes set on the rippling waters on the horizon. 

Ever so carefully the boy caressed the girl's hair, shaking off the dread of nearly losing her.

Not too far from the two water broke again and a blonde haired head poked up before the boy lifted himself from the rocks. 

At'anau watched the boy from the corner of her eyes. Sitting himself against the rock he looked out to the sky seeming almost in search of something, but quickly shook it off and lifted himself on his feet. 

"Monkey boy," Kiri breathed at he sight and the boy hesitantly made his way over, taking in the sight of the fallen son again and his entire family surrounding him, except for the girl who couldn't bare to get close again.