A life changing choice

"Jasper Whitlock! What are you doing here!?" I screamed before getting shushed by the whole room. He chuckled and picked me up and walked me out of the cinema with a short girl following us. Once we got outside he placed me down. "Dia, it's been too long! How have you been??" I slapped him softly. "You've lost your Southern charm there, Major. Sorry about that, I'm Lydia..." I was trailed off when the girl hugged me. "Oh I know who you are, Jazz told me all about you. Thank you for being his only friend at the beginning of his new life. I'm Alice, his mate." I hugged the girl tightly because she radiated joy.

"Well Alice it's nice to meet you, and Major I'm happy you found your mate, you seem a lot happier than you were the last time we saw each other. As for me, just the usual, bouncing around America and occasionally Europe, still a wild nomad." Jasper smiled and wrapped his arm around Alice's waist as we walked and talked until the sun came up. I was sad because I thought that I'd have to say goodbye. I've missed contact with other vampires. Alice seemed to notice my change of mood.

"Lydia, I've been meaning to ask you, instead of wandering as a nomad, alone, why don't you come with us, we're a part of the Olympic coven and they'd love to meet you and have you be a part of our coven." I sighed and looked down. "Alice, as much as I love that offer, I'm not ready to have a steady permanent home or be a part of a coven. It's not that I don't want to, it's been amazing getting to know you and seeing Jasper again but I wanna keep being able to explore the world and not be tied down somewhere. Maybe sometime in the future but for now I have to say no." She nodded and hugged me before letting go so I could say goodbye to Jasper.

"Well Dia, we spent another night together laughing and making memories and I'm so glad you got to meet Alice and that you two get along. After her, you're still the most important vampire in my life." He hugged me tightly and slipped a piece of paper into my pocket. "Stay safe Dia and don't be a stranger." He waved and in the blink of an eye he and Alice were gone. I sighed once again in my own solitude.

In the later 50's I made friends with a charming man and his wife. John and Jackie were their names and they were both really smart. I enjoyed talking to them about their plans for their future. John wanted to be the president and I was sure that he would be an amazing one. I was his behind the scenes advisor I was never seen or heard of by the press. When he was announced president I was so happy for him, he was going to be the best thing for our country. He was a gem for America. In July of 1963 I was surprised by a knock on my door and delighted to see that it was Owen and Gwen who I hadn't seen in centuries. They stayed with me and were there for me when the senseless tragedy occurred. I needed to be held back from starting another rampage.

"Owen! She's trying to escape again!" Gwen shrieked as I tried to break free from the stupid vampire proof rope they tied me in. "I need to get out damn it! Let me see Jackie and let me kill the monster who killed John!" I wailed with crystal tears of venom that I knew would never fall. I was devastated, John was a great man, a great husband, a great father and a great friend. Who would kill him? It took a long time for me to be able to be near humans again after that.

I spent the next fourth two years invisible. I did not want anything to do with anyone or have any contact with the outside world. I bought myself a secluded little cabin in the tundra of the Yukon where a lot of animals were. Though if I'm honest, I wouldn't care if I did die from hunger. I couldn't bring myself to live anymore. It was encroaching on the 1212 year anniversary of my turning and my siblings death and the guilt had finally eaten me alive. I decided that I was going to bring attention to myself. That way the Volturi could kill me and I would finally be reunited with Alec and Jane.

I ran as fast as I could to the nearest big city and I stopped dead in my tracks. What I saw in front of me was a sight I'd been accused of in the past, but this was not my doing. The entire damn town was massacred. Limbs thrown and skulls scattered everywhere. I was scared. I didn't know who could do this, but I did know I needed to go somewhere I knew people. I pulled out the piece of paper that Jasper had given me and read the address. God Jazz, I hope you're still there. I packed my backpack with my wallet with my money, tights, shirts and a hoodie before I lit my little house on fire and began my run to Forks Washington where hopefully I could move on and live my life for once.

It was a long run but it gave me time to think and relax. But at the same time I was very very nervous, would they be there? Would they accept me? When would I be happy?

When I got to the address that was written, I saw an absolutely beautiful house and standing on the balcony was not one or two but four familiar faces.

"Finally joining a coven there, lass?" A voice I'd missed rang out.

"For the first time ever, I'm ready to settle down and stop being a nomad."

Little did I know it would be the best, yet most shocking decision I'd ever make.