Yahweh

Will God will find me godly, and answer my prayers? This is the prayer of the psalmist who finds himself surrounded by those who mock him. It probably has been the prayer of many of us who try and follow Jesus. It seems that people love those who champion a cause as long as they don't interfere with their ability to do what they want. In the past few years in the United States, we have seen an increase in gun violence and much of it has been directed at young people. Now the young are banding together to urge those eligible to vote to register in the hopes that they will be able to make a change in the government that they feel has not done enough to limit the availability to those weapons that have caused the most damage. Those who in previous years had hoped that young people would get more involved are now concerned that their rights might be at stake. I'm sure that some of the good that David would do as king probably had many afraid that their corrupt ways and lack of fidelity to God would be affected. We can turn to the psalms and ask God to protect us. We can turn to this early prayer book for everything we need. We can turn to the psalms when we feel far from God and need forgiveness. In times of sorrow, the psalms give us hope. This psalm, said to be of David, expresses his trust that God will bless him and is a warning to those who sin. This is our prayer as well. The closing verse seems to say that when we search our hearts at night we can sleep peacefully when we remember God's goodness to us.