obeying authority

Two of the earliest memories that I have of my parents involve them giving me advice. First, I remember my parents telling me to "look both ways before crossing the street." I used to walk with my brother to our primary school, and we were quite proud to be able to do it by ourselves. The other piece of advice I remember is "always wear your seatbelt." This good piece of advice from my parents to a young child, and again, it involved me being excited and proud to finally be able to get out of a car seat and use a seat belt on my own.
King David has reached his final days and must choose one of his many sons to be an heir to the throne. His sons have killed each other (2 Samuel 13) and his sons have died in an attempt to overthrow him (2 Samuel 18), so some of David's top choices may have already died. However, he chooses his son Solomon, the son of his wife Bathsheba. Solomon is wise and his father imparts some final words of wisdom: be strong, be a man, and listen to God as he did.
I am not sure how David interpreted his father's message to follow the commandments of God considering he is the son of Bathsheba, the woman that David committed adultery with and then was responsible for the death of her husband, but we can certainly understand that Solomon realizes the responsibility that his father is bestowing upon him. For all of David's faults, he always came to God for counsel. David has always been the character with which I most easily identified in the Bible: he has his good moments, and he has his bad (really, really, bad moments), but he always clings to his relationship with God.