New Wine

Once we have accepted Christ as our Savior, are we hanging on to our old ways – old wineskins – while trying to fit Jesus into it? If so, it just doesn't work. Just as the new wine would ferment and eventually split the wineskins, we need to decide whether to work with our new beliefs and spiritual path or go back to our former way of life. A person with an addiction – alcohol, gambling, drugs, etc. – cannot continue to visit those places where temptation can be overwhelming – bars, casinos, etc. – or to keep company with the same friends who don't understand why their friend has changed. Now, I'm not saying that it is necessary to give up our old friends, what I am saying is that we can't expect to do the same things we did before. Did you enjoy x-rated movies? Is foul language a staple in your vocabulary? Do you have a whole collection of your favorite "dirty" or offensive jokes? Do you think this is what Jesus wants of you? Somehow these things don't really fit with following Christ. If Jesus is my Savior and I have turned my life over to him, I have to rethink how I live. May all of us work to place this new wine into new wineskins and so have our lives give testimony to our new awareness of the glory of God.