Walk into the light.

This is one of my favorite hymns, and the second line is "I want to follow Jesus." In the common lectionary, today is the fast of St. John the Evangelist. Tradition always pictures this Apostle as a young man, and if he lived into the second century, or close to it, he must have been pretty young when he joined his brother James to follow Jesus. Jesus tells us that we must become as little children with their innocence and ability to believe if we want to enter eternal life with him. This is such an appropriate feast to celebrate so soon after Christmas as this is a season that children of all ages enjoy. I know that my friends and I take a night every year before Christmas and go out to look at the lights on the homes in surrounding neighborhoods. And we are far, far, far away from being children! In the dark of winter, these truly symbolize the light of Christ coming into the world. Christ as our light shines on the path we are called to follow and also shows us the areas of darkness we need to eliminate if we are not going to stumble on that path. John talks about Christ as the light in both his gospel and his letters to remind us we need Jesus' guidance as we journey towards him and walk as children in his light.