why don't you love me

For those of us with siblings, we may have asked ourselves this question: "which one of us do our parents like the most?" It is a natural question and in some families, may be a legitimate issue. I was lucky, because I really believe that my parents loved all of their children equally. Although we are different, each having our own unique qualities and faults, to our parents we were all the same. What about some of the characters in the Bible who did not felt the same love that I did?
The story that Malachi speaks of is of Esau and Jacob, the sons of Isaac. The two sons were twins and they are described as near opposites of each other: Esau is hairy, profane, and rugged, a skilled hunter; Jacob is a sensitive, loving, and devout man, winning the favor of his mother. Through a series of cunning tricks, Jacob eventually gets Esau to swear his birthright to him (Genesis 25) and then poses as Esau with the help of his mother to get his father's blessing (Genesis 27), leaving Esau with nothing. It begs the question: why did God love Jacob more than Esau? In the historical context of the book of Malachi, why did God allow other nations to rule over the kingdom of Israel?