Just Mercy

I recently read a book called Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson that touched me deeply. In the book, Mr. Stevenson, a lawyer, sets up a non-profit organization in the southern states of America with the aim of protecting people that have no means of protecting themselves. The stories of some of his legal teams' cases are shocking: many of the inmates given the death sentence were given horribly unfair trials. Some of them were clearly innocent, some of the cases involved the police tampering with evidence and threatening witnesses, and some of the convicted criminals had severe mental and physical disabilities and would never be able to healthily survive in the American legal system. I truly believe that Mr. Stevenson is doing admirable work and his efforts have improved the American legal system. There is still so much work to be done.
In the first verses of Habakkuk, we read the pleas of a desperate man, crying out to God, wondering why God is not listening. I have certainly felt like my prayers were falling on deaf ears at times. Christ himself even wondered in the gospel of John why his Father had forsaken him. We all have our doubts, especially when faced with immoral, unjust, and evil people. Habbakuk cannot believe that God would stand idly by as the wicked rule his nation. As is the case in many countries and Mr. Stevenson's book illustrates, if the people responsible for "justice" are unjust, the law is broken. If bad people are the ones passing judgment on the good, wrong judgment and evil prevails.
The final verse speaks of work, and that is the responsibility of all Christians.