Like Father Like Son

2 Samuel 13: 7-14
When my older brother had children, I was amazed at how quickly they learned and copied the things that adults did. My nephews would mimic one another and their parents, often not understanding whether or not their actions were right or wrong. I specifically remember one instance when my older nephew lied to his parents. Any adult would be able to decipher that he was lying because it was probably one of the first lies that he ever attempted, and we told him not to lie. His younger brother, mere minutes later, copied what his brother had done, lying about something trivial, copying the example that had been set.
Absalom had many of the great qualities that his father did; he was charismatic and the most praised man in Israel regarding his looks (2 Samuel 14:25). He was also cunning and had an eye for the throne. Although it must have broken King David's heart to have his own son conspire against him, I think he must have really gazed in the mirror and thought about his own actions. Who would have had a greater impact on his son's behavior? David was not shy of conspiring against others himself, scheming to kill the honorably Uriah the Hittite after committing adultery with his wife, Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11). Like father, like son, and now King David must learn to live with his regrets as a father. Unfortunately, both David and Absalom made choices that displeased God, instead of obeying the word of their true Father.