Chapter 23

"Well, brother, I see you've brought you're little slums rat back. What's the occasion this time? She piss off the wrong person again? Or you were just sick of getting some at her place and needing to pay her handler? What's his name again? Something with a "P," isn't it? Panthic? Partmin? Patyr?" He glanced over at Vania as she went pale. "Oh, that's right. Panyr. How is the old rascal these days?"

Vania looked away quickly, swallowing.

"K'landrin," Eddin growled. "She isn't from the slums. We're currently working. And she's an Elite Enforcer. You will treat her with respect."

Vania glared up at K'landrin as he sized her up again.

"Damn. Elite Enforcer now," he muttered. He looked at her again, eyes lingering at her chest, where the golden emblem blazed against the black fabric. "Lookin' good. And if my brother truly hasn't been having you, maybe we..." He trailed off, leering.

Vania made a look of distaste, but before she could reply, Eddin grabbed his brother by the shoulders and slammed him against the wall.

"What did I just say about respect?" Eddin demanded, pressing his brother harder against the wall.

"Calm down, little brother," K'landrin said, laughing. He grabbed at Eddin's hands, trying unsuccessfully to remove them from his shoulders. "I am treating her with respect. Anyone in her position would be honored to have a chance to be with someone of our rank. That's why she's with you, isn't it? It clearly isn't your cheerful disposition!"

Eddin growled wordlessly, pressing his brother harder. Prant came, chittering loudly from Eddin's pocket, climbing up to Eddin's shoulder and standing on his hind feet, angrily stomping his backpaws as he chittered at K'landrin. Outside, something roared.

"Eddin," Vania said, placing a long-fingered hand in the crook of his elbow. "Eddin. Calm down. Trust me, I've been accused of worse." She hissed at him, "Your brother's an ass. We already knew that. But, we still need him. Don't let him provoke you."

Eddin gritted his teeth, Prant still chittering angrily. After taking a deep breath, Eddin slowly took a step back, releasing K'landrin. "All right, brother. Prove yourself the asshole we know you are. Fine." He turned, taking another couple steps away, Vania walking with him. Then he whirled and jammed his finger into K'landrin's face. "But if you ever touch her, I will ensure you won't get a second chance."

"Are you threatening me, brother?" K'landrin asked, smirking as he pushed Eddin's finger away and stepped away from the wall. "Would you kill me over your little plaything the way you killed our older brother?"

"I—"

"K'landrin!" T'kanna said sharply from the doorway. She strode into the room, eyes blazing. "What were you ordered regarding Enforcer Vania Nahalora?" K'landrin turned to his sister, but before he could speak, she pointed backward, to the door. "You are never to be in the same room as she is. Get. Out."

T'kanna scowled at her brother as he turned and walked nonchalantly out of the room.

Vania let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding.

T'kanna turned to the two enforcers. "Vania. I'm so sorry. Are you all right?"

"What... makes you think you need to apologize?" Vania asked finally.

T'kanna smiled slightly. "I heard the menagerie going crazy, even through the walls of this house. That means either there's an intruder or," she looked up at Eddin, "my little brother is upset." She reached up and rested her hand on his cheek, speaking softly, "You can't let him provoke you like that. I know he's rude. I know he's crude. You know he says those things just to get you riled up."