Chapter 21

As they walked into the room, Bergin rose and thrust the notebook at Vania with ink-stained fingers.

"Here. It's what you need."

Vania took it, looking at the bags under Bergin's eyes. "Thank you. So, you were able to—"

"It's what you need," he repeated. He moved to walk past them. "I'm going home now."

"Home?" Vania asked.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Eddin asked. "They already got you there once."

"They're done with me," Bergin replied. "They think they're safe now." He stopped and looked at Vania and Eddin. "Don't go back to Lower Quarter Station."

"What? Why?" Vania asked.

"I can't talk about it," Bergin replied.

"You can't—" Vania cut herself off, eyes widening. She looked up at Eddin. "We were right. Someone in Lower Quarter—"

"Bergin!" Jezora burst in. "I thought you were done writing already! Come on, let's go."

"I had to talk to Vania," Bergin said, taking a step back away from the door.

"But you said you were getting a headache and intended to go home. The carriage is here—let's go."

"Jezora, don't you have work to do?" Bergin asked. "I'm capable of getting myself home."

"I told Captain Ther'rin I was taking you to the doctor today; he gave me the day off." She wrapped her arms around one of his. "Come on. Let's go see a different healer. Maybe they can remove that curse!"

"No," Bergin said, pulling his arm free. "The last three wizards all said this type of curse is impossible to remove unless you're the caster or have the powers of a god. I'm going home."

"Then I'll take you to all the temples!" Jezora insisted. "I'm sure one of those priests can channel their god to remove the curse. Any deity ought to have enough power."

A voice in the back of Vania's mind whispered, "Of course we can... If we feel like it. For a price." The voice laughed. Vania winced as her head began to throb.

"I'll just go home. Thank you, Jezora," Bergin replied. "With Vania and Eddin on the case, the curse will soon be moot, anyway." He walked out of the room, Jezora hurrying after, sputtering protests.

"Well, let's see what we have," Eddin said. He reached for the book in Vania's hands, then stopped, seeing her pale face and closed eyes. "What's wrong?"

"My head... hurts," Vania whispered. She tried to step away from Eddin and stumbled. He grabbed her and gently helped her into a chair. "Please... send for Derry."

"Sure. Is there anything else I can do?" Eddin asked as he drew out his communication crystal.

"Just... take this notebook and get out of here. Lock the door behind you," Vania whispered.

"Lock the...? Vania, why would I need to lock you in?" Eddin asked, a cold feeling coiling heavily in the pit of his stomach.

"Just go now. Please." Vania put her elbows on the table, resting her head in her hands.

"I'll be back soon, okay? Tarva will get Derry here quickly, just like last time," Eddin promised, a hand on her broad shoulder. When she didn't reply, he squeezed her shoulder once and then left the room silently, locking the door behind him.

"I don't like this at all," Derry said, pacing in the interrogation room. Vania sat, looking worried, staring at the floor. "Have you taken yourself to a healer yet?"