Chapter 36

Vania slammed her hands on the table, leaning over Derry. "Why didn't you tell me my father was having a Marked episode the night he died?"

Derry looked up at her calmly. His eyes wandered over to Eddin; the a'marlon stood a little apart, frowning at Vania. The baker felt his wife's eyes on him without turning. He sighed slightly, grateful for the empty tables providing no audience. Finally, he looked back up at Vania's scowling face and replied levelly, "I suspected that might be the case—he was due for one; that's why you were with us that night. However, I wasn't there, so I never knew for sure. How did you find this out?" When Vania just frowned at him, he pressed, "Did you... dream about it?"

"I've dreamed about it so many times, I've lost count!"

"Oh, you poor dear," Licia said, hurrying around the counter to place a gentle arm around Vania's shoulders.

Vania shrugged away before she could be hugged. "Each time, it becomes less and less specific. Details fuzzy. Faces blurry. Colors dim and fading... After all these years, it's just their voices crying out in the darkness now." She swallowed, squeezing her eyes shut tightly. After several deep breaths, she reopened her eyes and looked down at Derry. "Don't change the subject. Why didn't you tell me?"

Derry sighed. "I didn't want to tell you something that might not be true. I already told you—I didn't know for certain he turned violent that night; I just knew it was coming." He looked up at Vania. "You had so many nightmares that night... You knew they were dead before the runner even knocked. We kept trying to comfort you, to tell you it was just a dream... Then, when the knock sounded on the door, we knew." He looked down at his scarred, flour-dusted hands. "Then there was nothing to tell you, besides that it would be okay."

The door opened, causing everyone to pause. Eddin turned and looked to the door as a man and woman entered, a small child running up to the counter from behind them.

"Mommy! Mommy! Look! They have chocolate cakes!"

Licia hurried back behind the counter and smiled at the customers. "Good afternoon. Welcome. What can I get for you?"

The woman glanced over to Eddin, neck craning slightly to see Vania standing over Derry at the table behind the towering a'marlon. She turned back to Licia with a smile, hand ruffling her son's head. "My son has been begging to come back here ever since we stopped in for a crimson tart on Glory Day."

"Welcome back," Licia replied. She looked down at the boy. "Yes, we do have chocolate cake, as well at butter crescents, fresh bread, tarts, tassies, berry pies, mincemeat pies, and lemon curd cake, as well."

"Everything looks delicious," the man said, placing a hand on his wife's back. "Dear, why don't you pick something out?" He turned a looked and spied the baker. "Derry! There you are!" He stepped around Eddin, holding out his hand, which Derry stood and took. "How you been?"

"Oh, we're fine," Derry replied, smiling tiredly. "Why don't you find a seat for yourself and your family? I'll go start the water for some tea."

Upstairs, Kuran called, "Ma! Babies woke up!"

Joining Licia behind the counter, Derry smiled and kissed her cheek, one hand coming over hers as she sliced into the chocolate cake. "Go on upstairs to the kids, dear. I'll mind the counter for you." She smiled, squeezing his hand before finishing cutting three large slices of cake. She nodded at the others. "Derry will see to whatever else you're needing. I have a couple little ones in need of a snack."

Derry brought the three slices of cake to the waiting customers, the young boy bouncing on his seat and clapping his hands as the plate clunked down in front of him.

On his way back to the counter, Derry paused by the two enforcers. "Vania..."

"I'll... come back some other time, Derry," Vania said, sighing, shoulders slumping. "You're busy."

"Never too busy for you," Derry replied. He stood next to her. "I never lied to you, Vania. About anything to do with your parents. I never mentioned potentials and maybes because they might not have been true."

Vania nodded, sighing again. "I know, Derry. I'm sorry. I just—I found out what happened, and I... I was so..." She swallowed. "I always thought they were innocent, and the enforcers who killed them were evil. Turns out... it was bad timing and the enforcers were just defending themselves."

"I'm sorry," Derry replied, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Your parents were good people; they shouldn't have died that night, even if your father was having an episode. I didn't mention the possibility because I... didn't want you to think maybe they deserved it."

Vania nodded. "I understand, Derry." She tried to smile at him, but it was twisted and sad. "Thank you. We'll go now, and leave you to your friends."

"You... never did say how you found out."

"We can talk later, Derry."

Derry nodded and walked into the kitchen.

Vania sighed, staring after him for a moment, then turned slowly. She looked up at Eddin. "Ready for the next one?"

Eddin nodded, holding out his hand. As she took it, he asked, "Are you?"

"I will be once we get there," Vania whispered as they walked out the door. "I'll have to be."

"So, you see, Bergin," Vania finished, pacing the floor in front of where he sat, "Du l'Tagne's tip was actually correct—my mother, Taila Nahalora, was meeting with smugglers that night. She was working to pay off a debt to Nanda." Vania swallowed. "She'd brought my father along because he was due to have another Marked episode, and part of what the smugglers were bringing were the drugs she needed to keep him under control." Vania stopped pacing, wringing her hands and adding quickly, "When you and Enforcer Rorkin showed up, it scared the smugglers away. Father was protective of Mother, plus they were both on edge, waiting for his coming violent episode. You unfortunately questioned them long enough you were there when it started."

"But—"

 Vania held up a hand, silencing him as she swallowed. "You said it yourself—it was like a switch flipped, and suddenly you were fighting. My father lost control of himself and attacked you. My mother tried to stop him, which led to him killing her, and leaving you and Rorkin to defend yourselves against a raging Marked tydring." She took in a long breath and looked for a long time at Bergin before she finished, "My parents' deaths weren't your fault."