A Quick Pint Before the Tale

***A note before we begin:

If you are reading this story on any site other than Wattpad, it has been taken without permission.

Please find your way to the Wattpad site; the site you're using could contain viruses and/or malware.

While you're at Wattpad, please drop a line to author CEBronk, letting me know where you found this story.

Copyright © 2023 Christine Bronk. All rights reserved.

This story, or any portion thereof, may not be reproduced or used in any manner without the express written permission of the author.

All characters, incidents, and locations are products of the author's imagination; any resemblance to actual events, persons (living or dead), or places are completely coincidental.***

***************

Well, hello, my friend. It's good to see you back again. Grab a stool, sit, get a drink. How have your travels been? Have you seen some new things? Met new people? Maybe managed to learn a tale or two you'd care to share? I'm always keen to hear new tales.

You're back just in time for the third segment of the tale of Vania Nahalora, Marked Enforcer and Storm Fighter.

As I'm sure you recall, the last two segments followed Vania in the start of her enforcer career.

Working with  her first work partner, Bergin Nahlstrom, Vania took down the dreadful Lord Du l'Tagne; he'd been falsely accusing people of crimes in order to take over their home or business. He also had a strange habit of abducting tydring women around the time of the Ice Masquerade.

Not long after, Bergin had to transfer from the Lower Quarter Station since he couldn't bear to work with Vania and all the guilt being with her dredged up over his killing of her parents. He works out of the Merchant Quarter Station, I'm sure you recall, with Jezora Kahlin. Poor fellow is engaged to her, too, and not by choice.

Her current work partner is none other than the renowned war veteran, Animal Wrangler D'merdon Buccareth, son of Admiral T'doru Buccareth and Grand Master A'lei'iana Buccareth. To try to get out from his family's rather large shadow, he goes by Eddin Bucktin at work.

It was still early in her partnership with Eddin that a very disturbing serial killer came to town. He abducted, tortured, and dissected Marked tydring. He kept their organs and some of their Marked parts, then dumped the corpses in the slums. Eddin and Vania, aided by Bergin and Jezora, managed to save a little girl and drive the wizard into hiding. Eventually, they sniffed him out on a contagion-laden ship after he abducted Derry's daughter, Cianna. They rescued Cianna and the wizard burned with the blazing ship, finally sinking below the waves.

Now, we're picking up the tale as Vania wonders if she'll ever return to work, or if she's been permanently dismissed in all but name. She still tries to avoid Derry's bakery, for fear of driving more customers away, due to the threat from Nanda, the gang leader of the slums. And the Glory Day Festival is just around the corner, which always brings back memories...