Chapter 6: Laying the Groundwork

"Fewer hours! Higher wages! Fewer hours! Higher wages!" The picket line chanted as they marched around the thoroughfare, blocking the main roads at the intersection of Brooklyn and Main. They sported colorful signs with equally crude slogans, berating Kenton's shipyards; some complained about working conditions, while others detracted the owners for their greed and callous behavior. Carriage drivers cursed at the protesters as they quickly became boxed in, their horses loudly braying and chomping at their bits at the unusual behavior of the throng of humans blocking their regular routes. Policemen did their best to keep order while defending their right to protest.

Sitting in one of the stalled carriages, Tessa huffed, "So much for taking a cab. Might be better served just getting out at this point and walking the rest of the way."

Lonny agreed, straightening her dress, "I suppose that's for the best." she glanced at the protesters with a frown, "Poor sods. I don't envy them."

Her brother nodded, "if we're not careful, that could be us out there."

Tessa glanced at him with concern, "what do you mean?"

"If we can't pull this off, and Marcus loses the circus, well..." Donny grimaced as he pointed.

Tessa saw a particularly gaunt woman begging for food on the periphery of the protest. She shivered at the thought. The last thing Tessa wanted was to be on the streets again. But that did not make what she had to do any easier.

"Let's get on with it then," Lonny huffed, forcing open the carriage door and sliding out. All three walked along the sidewalk for some distance until there was a break in the crowded march. They quickly rushed through the gap to the other side, a few people heckling them for not participating. Beyond that, it was relatively easy to proceed the rest of the way on foot to the campus.

While they were still a block away, Tessa stopped short, "you know, I think it would be best if I went by myself beyond this point."

The twins stopped, looking back at her, "Are you sure?" Donny asked.

"Yes, it would be best if you were not seen with me. Just in case."

The twins looked at each other. Tessa noted they both appeared nervous.

Hoping to reassure them, Tessa stood a little taller, saying confidently, "May I have my bag, please?"

"Right. The plan is simple," Lonny said, turning to Tessa and straightening her hair, "go in, get things set up for us, and come back. Got that, darling?"

Tessa minutely nodded, pursing her lips in a thin line.

"Once you are finished, get back to the circus, and let us know what you were able to do." Donny handed Tessa the heavy bag with her inventions and other things.

Tessa took the loaded bag, feeling a wave of panic coming on. She swallowed it and smiled confidently, "I got it."

Lonny hugged Tessa, "Best of luck. And remember, you have every right to be there."

"Right." Tessa huffed, "I'll see you tonight then," with that, she stole herself and struck out towards the school. As she reached the crosswalk, she hesitated. The imposing school gate loomed on the other side of the road, the newly rebuilt South wing clear and imposing on the opposite side of the wall. The section of the school that she inadvertently had burned down.

Can I really do this? She thought anxiously, stepping back under an awning. She knew she had to if she hoped to keep the others from being destitute on the street like so many of the factory workers marching by with their signs, protesting, desperate for change. But it did not make things any easier.