Chapter 4: Memories of Electricity

Tessa sat in the dining car of Old Faithful, absently left with her thoughts as her only company, unwelcome as they were. Past aspirations, regrets, and ultimately, Gray Merriweather. Tessa found herself reminiscing about when they had first met, about how they became friends, brought together by their love of inventions and science. Before, he was the famed inventor. Before he betrayed her.

At the time, Tessa Copperfield was a sprightly young girl of thirteen. She lived with her family in the northern state of Kent, in the city of Kenton. Tessa could recall following her father across one of the frozen courtyards of Croft University, mirroring his long stride. With a shock of red hair tucked under a knitted cap and an oversized scarf wrapped around her freckled face, she gazed at the architecture surrounding them and thought of her grandfather's stories. Tessa could remember how she would pretend she was with him on his grand adventures, exploring the depths of some long-lost city. Tessa had often listened to her grandfather's stories of explorers or the exploits of ingenious inventors. Some of her favorites were those of his own exploits, exploring the frontier of New Albion and its mysteries.

The cold air from the Condor Mountains that day had chilled her to the bone, as she could see her breath in small puffs of white vapor. A low hum had drawn her attention skyward as a giant dirigible passed overhead. The looming airship reminded her of a whale, laughably out of place floating in the air yet having a certain grace as it sailed through the sky.

Tessa's father glanced back over his shoulder. "Come along then, sprout," he smiled, hoisting his toolbox in his offhand, offering the other to the smiling girl, "let's get out of the cold."

"Yes, Father!" she scampered, taking his firm hand and following the stone steps.

Roger Copperfield, a boiler mechanic by trade, worked for the university as a handyman. Tessa was always eager to help when he allowed her to accompany him. She loved to work with tools and gears— specifically with the boilers and mechanical things. Even though her mother did not necessarily approve, she understood it was important to the young girl and encouraged her curiosity.

Roger pulled out a slip of paper as they quietly made their way into the building. Shaking off the snow that clung to his wool mittens and hat, he squinted a moment before looking up at the directory hanging on the wall. "I don't know, Tess; I think I am lost." He said, handing the slip of paper to her with a wink, "think you could figure out where we are?"

"Of course!" Tessa jumped at the opportunity to help. Snatching the paper, she examined the numbers and letters before pouring over the map. "This way!" she declared confidently.

First, a left, then a right into the science department, then down another adjacent hall. Tessa dutifully led her father to find the specified room. She stated triumphantly, "Here we are!"

"Shhhh, not so lowed," Roger hissed, smothering a snicker, "good job, sprout. I knew you could do it."

"Well, obviously," she said, suddenly feeling childish.

"Still, I appreciate the help." He gently placed his toolbox on the polished marble floor and crouched beside his daughter. "Now, remember what we talked about?"

"Yes." Tessa said with a stern nod. "don't worry, I got this."

Roger gave a weary look, "I know, but if you get the butterflies again, make sure to hold your hands tight," he gave an example. "We don't want to get in trouble again, do we?"

"No," Tessa could feel her cheeks flush red. She suffered from what her grandfather dubbed a terrible case of anxiety,' and when she was anxious, she took things. The young girl knew better; it was a force of habit, but it took the edge off whenever a panic attack occurred.