⌗ 𓂃 𖥔༌ ᰷ ﹅chapter 14﹅ ᰷ 𖥔༌ 𓂃⌗

Start from the beginning

the picture was slightly blurred with a green hue to it and was of vance and I. I took in the way I was so comfortably leaning on him and the smile on my face. vance's hand on my arm looked so natural, and so did the matching, daydream smile on his face. I took the picture from her hands with a faint smile. I held the photo so delicately as I brought it over to vance and we looked over it together. he pointed at little features in the photo that made me smile even more.

"keep it," cheyenne said and I smiled gratefully to her in reply. I offered it to vance who insisted I kept it. I grabbed my purse and tucked it into one of the pockets.

***

walking back hand-in-hand from the playing fields, vance and I carried light conversation back to my house. it was around 7:30pm and dark, in average march fashion, and vance made sure we stuck to open streets with bright street lamps and people still awake.

"I don't want you getting hurt!" he had justified his paranoid behaviour with.

"hey, how are things with your stepdad?" I asked, changing our subject of conversation.

"mom broke up with him. he moved out. 'm not seeing him ever again." he said shortly.

"oh! you didn't tell me," I said.

"yeah, it was around when we first fell out. mom found out about the abuse." he replied.

"she didn't know?"

"she just thought I was getting into loads of fights." he sighed, scuffing his shoe along the ground.

"well, neither of us have crappy dads anymore," I laughed.

"my mom's been seeing my dad again." he blurted out.

"is that good?"

"...yeah. I think so. they were good together. but they divorced because dad came back from war all fucked in the head and mom couldn't take it. but he's better now. and they've both sat us all down and explained what's happening. it'll be good," vance nodded to himself and looked down to me with a smile.

I smiled back up at him. he stopped us where we were passing under the street lamp and took my face in his hands. he leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. my hands moved from my sides to his shirt as I gently took it between my fingertips and kissed him back. he took a few shuffles closer to me and I gripped his shirt a little more as we kissed beneath the bright glow of the yellow street lamp. a light flicked on from a house behind us and an angry yell came from it.

"you kids better fucking get home or I'm calling the cops for public indecency!"

"up your's, fuckwad!" vance yelled and I laughed.

"what did you say?!" we heard a shotgun become loaded and vance yelled for us to run.

hand-in-hand once again, we raced down the streets back to my house as we laughed and hollered the whole way. we finally reached my porch and slowed down.

"god, you're incredible." with a breathless grin, vance held my waist and pulled me closer once again for a kiss. my hands went to his hair and I kissed him back with a smile. we heard the door open next to us and jumped away from each other as we felt the presence of my dad.