⌗ 𓂃 𖥔༌ ᰷ ﹅chapter 6﹅ ᰷ 𖥔༌ 𓂃⌗

CHAPTER 6
⌗ 𓂃 𖥔༌ ᰷ ﹅pizza place catastrophe﹅ ᰷ 𖥔༌ 𓂃⌗

the end of practice eventually rolled around. we'd done well, our lowest sprint was 12.38 seconds ran by me. I was pleased with myself and felt I had made a good impression on the rest of the team. I saw the kids packing up as I headed back towards towards the changing rooms and told them both to wait outside. vance stood a bit away from them as he waited for katy.

I soon emerged, surprised to fine the two talking with vance. he had a calm demeanour and was even chuckling at gwen's joke.

"hey, kids, you two go ahead i'll catch you up," I gently shooed them away.

"what, don't want me talking to your precious siblings?" vance's voice was grumpy and defensive.

"no, actually, I wanted to talk to you, but i'll just give you a sec to get your head out of your ass," I retorted. vance huffed out of his nose like an angry ox, not replying. "what I want to say to you is that..." I took a deep breath. "I'm sorry for immediately getting agitated with you. I knew you were right and I didn't like that fact. i've never really had anyone good in my life to take care of me. mom was ill from a young age and as dad was too in denial to look after her, I did. when she died, I was looking after my depressed dad and my depressed siblings. I had to push my own mourning aside. and now, when dad has an... episode... I have to look after the kids. and that's the way my life has always been and the thought of having someone be there for me scares me cuz what if I let my guard drop? what if I slip up and the kids get hurt or in trouble because of me? but you're right. doing something for me — like just joining the track team — for once does make me feel good. so... thank you for making me see that."

vance stayed quiet as he studied me with a blank stare. I began to get nervous. did I apologise too soon? was he still pissed at me?

"you're welcome, dipshit. god you'd be lost without me." I smiled as we fell straight back into our usual atmosphere.

"oh, vance! you're my knight in shining armour!" I joked, dramatising my voice.

and as I stood there and joked with the vance hopper, I realised something.

I have feelings for this boy.

oh shit.

***

after being held up chatting with her friends, katy soon emerged from the changing rooms and smiled as she saw vance and I joking around. we walked to meet the kids at the end of the hall.

"hey, we're going to get pizza! you should come with!" gwen exclaimed, swinging on katy's arm. the two knew each other when katy looked after gwen in the buddy program.

"pizza, vance?" katy asked with hopeful eyes.

vance gave her a blank stare so she turned her hopeful gaze into puppy dog eyes.

"pleaseeee, vance!" she begged, clasping her hands together. I joined her, mimicking her actions.

"please, vance, pretty please!" we begged as gwen joined us too, the three of us crowding around him.

"fine! fine!" we cheered as vance suppressed a smile.

"double cheese! double cheese!" gwen began chanting. katy and I joined in as we skipped down the empty corridors, finney and vance laughing at us.