⌗ 𓂃 𖥔༌ ᰷ ﹅chapter 20﹅ ᰷ 𖥔༌ 𓂃⌗

CHAPTER 20
𓂃 𖥔 grab'n'go 𖥔 𓂃⌗

at school during the day, maddy had reminded me of how it was my first day of work at the grab'n'go which meant I had to skip track practice. which is good because apparently tom had been loitering outside of the girls' changing rooms.

so that's where I was headed straight after school. I prayed vance would come with me in case tom karls showed up, but he was grounded for smashing a vase at home out of anger. of course.

so I walked to the grab'n'go by myself with only my nail-biting thoughts of how tom karls would show up to keep me company.

at the counter, the nice lady — joan — showed me how to work the till and how to give discounts and such, I was introduced to marley, the security guard, and was given free reign of the radio station during my shift.

it started slow, and then all of the after school kids came in. they filled the shop, some taking advantage of vance's abscence and using the pinball machine, some buying some candy and other confectioneries and even moose buying a fucking nudie mag. the weirdo already had a boner and even rushed me so he could 'get home and beat off already' since he'd 'been waiting all day'. I shuddered as he left and sanitized my hands with the gel sanitizer beside the till.

every time the door jingled open, my head whipped over as I prayed it wasnt tom. around 4:00 was when it was the busiest. a lot of my school had a habit of getting detentions, and when they were let out, they went straight to the grab'n'go. so them mixed with all the other kids and parents doing groceries made it extremely busy.

I so was busy ringing up the long queue in front of the counter, that I didn't notice a few people come in. it was busy and I could barely see over the masses of people crowding the shop... I could barely see those two eyes on me.

at first, I had missed them entirely. I must've rung up about 5 people before I felt the staring. but I just couldn't spot them through the crowd. after ringing up a few more people, I still couldn't shake the feeling of eyes on me so I looked over to the one deserted place in the store.

vance's machine was void of people, everyone was too scared to use it as they thought he'd pop out any second, free from detention.

apart from one person hovering near it.

at first, I mistook that blonde hair for vance. but my momentarily relieved stomach flipped when I realised that vance would never have it cropped so short.

of course, tom karls sat at the window sill with an eerily complacent smile on his face.

I turned straight back to the last customer in the queue I was serving with a forced smile.

"three dollars, fifty cents." I requested from the customer who handed it over in coins. as they walked away, I sighed and began sorting the change into the till.

"how lovely it is to see you here, y/n." goosebumps prickled my body at the sound of tom karls's voice and I couldn't suppress the shudder that ran through me.

"how can I help you?" I asked curtly, hoping he just wanted me to ring him up for some items.

"it's so good know you're here to... service me." my skin erupted in goosebumps when tom placed his hand over mine which was rested on the desk. as I tried to jerk away, he held on tighter and moved his grip from my hand to my wrist. I whimpered out in pain as his hand tightened, his fingertips digging in. "such pretty hands, what do you use these for?"