⌗ 𓂃 𖥔༌ ᰷ ﹅chapter 22﹅ ᰷ 𖥔༌ 𓂃⌗

CHAPTER 22
𓂃 𖥔 the hospital 𖥔 𓂃⌗

"fifteen year old male, around 5'8. gunshot wound to the right side. no organs pierced, bullet lodged in the waist."

rushing. lights. people. that was all that registered in my head.

I hated hospitals.

after he had... shot vance, tom had ran off in fear. I was left to pick vance's failing body off of the ground and drag him round to the front of the grab'n'go where joan had called 911 for me. he'd slipped in my blood-sodden grip a few times and I cringed each time his body jolted with pain. his blood had stained my running gear, but I didn't care, I had to get him to safety. he had groaned and struggled to keep his eyes open the whole time we were waiting.

the ambulance had arrived quickly, picking vance and I up while I sobbed and cried down the phone to mr and mrs hopper. I felt sick with fear and I'd even thrown up in a small bucket in the corner of the ambulance.

at the hospital, vance and I were met with the hopper family and dad. finney and gwen had been taken to mrs fig's for the time being. mrs hopper's eyes were filled with tears and she held a crumpled and damp tissue to the corners while mr hopper's eyes were red and his face crumpled.

the EMTs had helped me climb out of the ambulance while still holding vance's hand. I had told them everything that had happened and they wanted to do their own checks on me for anything like bacterial infections from tom's hands or from the dank alley. luckily, they were only blood tests and would be taken in the hospital.

one EMT — steven — had talked me through everything that they would do to help vance and I and had promised to try and keep up together as much as possible. I knew I'd have to let him go for surgery, but steven said he would talk to doctors and nurses about letting me stay with him as much as possible.

we were currently sat in the family waiting room while they rushed vance to the surgery. he'd been rushed to an immediate, emergency surgery to remove the bullet in his side. it had been almost an hour and it felt as if my brain had shut off. I hadn't spoken since I recounted all of the events to dad, vance's parents and the present doctors and nurses.

they'd taken their blood test and wiped over any cuts I had. we were waiting on those results, but I was waiting for vance.

dad had tried to get me to eat something for my breakfast but I refused everything with a shake of my head. I hadn't eaten much these past few days, I couldn't bring myself to. and now, I feared anything I ate would be brought right back up. my fingers picked at the skin around them as I stared blankly at the floor below me. dad sat beside me as he read over the newspaper of the day.

"miss blake?" I looked up to see detective wright and detective miller stood at the door. they had their notepads and pens in their hands and sympathetic looks on their faces. "could we speak to you privately please?"

I nodded and rose from my chair, walking over to the two detectives. detective wright reached a comforting hand to my shoulder which I instinctively flinched away from. I heard dad sigh sadly from behind me as I gave the detective an apologetic look to which he dismissed with an understanding smile.

they lead me to a quieter part of the hospital and we sat down.

"now, miss blake, we understand that this tom karls sexually assaulted you and shot mr hopper?" I nodded at detective wright's words. "can you tell us what happened?"