|19| Stone-Hearted

Start from the beginning

Anxiety prickled my brain and guilt engulfed me, as various scenarios of me failing came crashing into my mind.

My months-long hard work had gone to waste just because I couldn't articulate the idea completely in my presentation due to my last-minute indolence.

It looked like it was time to pull all-nighters, worrying only about my work without any other distractions bothering my mind.

Walking towards my office, I drafted a quick email for my subordinates, informing them about the revised strict weekend deadline, and scheduled an urgent meeting in the evening.

Just as I was about to enter my office, I heard a familiar voice calling my name, "Ria!"

From the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of Tara. Yes, the same one who was a friend of Rohit and a possible past(or present) hookup buddy of my roommate. Now, I knew I was wrong to judge the status of their relationship without knowing much about it, but instinct can't be ignored.

She came nearly sprinting towards me in six-inch heels.

As someone who was the epitome of clumsiness, my eyes still widened in worry every time I saw someone pouncing around in high heels.

God protect her.

With some printed spreadsheets in her hands, she greeted enthusiastically, "I didn't know you work here! It's such a pleasant surprise."

Her chirping voice made me want to cover my ears, but I hoped that my discomfort wasn't visible in my expression. "Good to see you too. How have you been?" I asked, toying with the ring on my finger, which had become a constant habit of mine for the past few days.

Her gaze lingered on my hand where the platinum wedding band circled my ring finger before her attention snapped back to the ongoing conversation we were having.

She exhaled theatrically, "I am still coping. The past week has been such a roller-coaster, switching workplaces and all of that. But I already like the people here." Her sight flitted around the floor as she waved at someone standing near the coffee machine.

"First day here?" Even if that fact was very clear, I probed, shifting my weight from one foot to the other.

"Yup! Starting today. That would be mine." She pointed toward the office which was directly adjacent to my office and continued, "Would you be available to have lunch or grab some snacks during the break? I would love to make some new friends in this place."

I wanted to remind her that she had probably already made friends with every single person on here because of her social-butterfly-like spirit.

Instead, I settled on, "Sure." A boring single-worded reply.

Sometimes, I wondered why was I like this. So detached and introverted. Maybe stone-hearted was actually the right word to fit in the context of my personality.

Maybe it would be better if I try to be a lot more like her and a little less like myself.

I gave her a small genuine smile and said, "Will catch up with you in the break. Do tell me if you want any sort of help till then."

She grinned. "Awesome! Thank you so much. I am relieved to see a familiar face here."

I hummed and bid her goodbye as she went sauntering in the direction of the photocopy machine. Every guy and even some girls in the line ogled at the way her tight skirt fitted her tall slim body. She had a confident positive aura around her, that seemed to attract every person present in the vicinity towards her.

Okay, I admit. Maybe I was a bit envious of her natural charm.

Settling on my desk, I briefly peeked at her office and the door proudly sported the sign: CA Tara Sharma, Finance Controller.