Chapter 13- Permission

"I don't like it, it's a stupid idea," Quinlin stated out loud.

Amy had told Quinlin Sonden of her school trip plans to go to the neighbouring islands gone missing.

"Well luckily my parents are here, and they said I can go," Amy said, justified outside the back of her tutor styled house.

Watson the dog barked on the lawn next to her; interested in play ball again. Amy picked up the tennis ball and threw it viciously/with attitude while Quinlin stood stoic, standing there dissapprving. Watson bolted after the rubber ball.

"They think it will get me being  'less self-obsessed' and 'absorbed' withput my phone. I only told you to let you know, you know, 'cos that was the deal. I tell you stuff here and you'd tell me how my sister was going. All of what my sister was doing. The crazy life threatening stuff too." Amy crossed her arms and folded.
Waiting.
Quinlin did not budge. Not once. Even though Quinlin was elf-handsome to a fault, he was dead pan serious.

"That wasn't the deal, Amy," Quinlin said.
"And, like I said, you ain't my guardian angel. I am going. And I am going to tell my friends to avoid the dead spaces filled with fog." Amy stood her ground.

"Filled with fog?" Quinlin repeated.
"Yeah, it was all over the news. At the edges of where the islands were, fog was amassing they said it was a natural phenomenon." Amy scowled at his face.

"I did see that," Quinlin said, with a furrowing brow. "What did they say was the cause?"

"Bermuda Triangle stuff. The norm. Where's Livvy? Is she coming?" Amy asked, not keen for lectures and redirected the conversation.

The tall tanned elf exhaled. "Very well, she will be coming soon."

"So, um, how are you explaining your appearances to my parents? Livvy's our gardener," Amy pointed out.
The car was pulling up the driveway, Amy could recognise it anywhere.
Quinlin scratched his arm, "I hadn't thought about that."

A laugh came floating along the air. A pained expression came over Quinlin's face at Livvy's voice.

"I bet he hasn't! He was probably just going to make them forget."

Livvy appeared wearing her gardening uniform, which barely did much to hide her elven beauty. Her braids jangle in the light breeze. An egging smile on her dimples. "Isn't that about right? Never mind, we'll get it covered kiddo. So I hear you've been helping Quinlin again. Any luck?"

Amy spun to her, Livvy. "Not a lot, but how is Sophie going currently?"

"Oh, you know..." Livvy glanced at Quinlin, who did not help respond, "Helping find one clue, then another. Discovering new and old cures, that sort of thing."

A short derisive nostril exhale came from Quinlin. Livvy chose to ignore it.

"So how about school, any news?" Livvy asked.
Now Quinlin addressed Livvy. "Actually, that was what she gathered us for. A school trip to the islands."
"And to bribe for elven candy, the human stuff ain't hacking it," Amy said.
"Smart. Unfortunately, we can't break the rules like that. But it's good to see you again kiddo." Livvy squeezed her tight. "Also, where is the parents? Normally this guy has an obscurer out by now and telling me to use one."

Quinlin said nothing.

Amy gave a little giggle. "He would be too. Come on, inside, I want to show you the latest game."
"Okay!" Livvy responded.

Cough, Cough.

Livvy and Amy turned round to address the coughing Quinlin.

"Yes?" repeated Livvy, a teasing smile growing. "Are you wanting to join us? Well, do come in too then," She reached for his arm, intent on her face.

"I am alright, I have been instructed not to make unnecessary contact." Quinlin answered stiffly.

Livvy's brow lowered. "Quinlin Sonden, this is Amy Foster-Freeman. We are appointed to watch after her, so if you don't want to come you can stay out here. But I am performing a mental health well-being exercise with her. To ensure-"

"Mental wellness," Amy scooped in too; well apt at making excuses for things. "There's ice-cream if you want some, Quinlin."

The movement of Quinlin's lower jaw. Then he softened and dignified, he lowered himself to one knee. (He came to her head height.) "I am really sorry, Amy. You know I would love to. But both Livvy and I would get into too much trouble if our routine visits became too familial."

"You don't have to act a grouch though," Amy pointed out.

"Okay, I won't." Quinlin let the child take his hand in a handshake.

Livvy stepped back. "I'll follow Quinlin's lead this time. He does have his reasons for doing things, even if he doesn't share them all the time."

"Thank you," Quinlin acknowledged her statement with his head.

Livvy didn't look overly impressed. They both waved goodbye to the kid.

***

"Can you please not refer me to 'this guy' in front of Amy," Quinlin said to his ex once the child had re-entered her home.

"And can you please next time inform me you are spying for the Council now?" Livvy responded

Quinlin turned to see Livvy's glare. "And there's no surprise where the anger came from."

Livvy exhaled. "You are impossible, you know that? I let you in on one thing and you blow it up to the Council members."

"They are not bad, Livvy," Quinlin responded. And how did or can it blow up? He wanted to know but was not willing to ask yet.

Livvy took out her own light leaping crystal. "That's what they said about all elves, and then- boom- the Neverseen appeared. See you, Quinlin."

"See you," Quinlin said. "Where are you - going."

Her light path was already going. He checked in on Amy, and then sent a hail to Livvy.

"What is it?" Livvy responded.

"I wanted to know where you are," Quinlin said.

"Argh- you are impossible. Ask the Council members you are serving. Or better yet, my Collective. I am dealing with medical emergencies. Bye." Livvy's line went dead.

The screen darkened.
It was a stupid move contacting Livvy. He might have felt partially bad. But she has been lying to me for 13-18 years! Quinlin consoled himself. They had a catch up with friends soon. That would be a good way to blow off some steam.