Chapter 6- Amsterdam

"I knew you could trust her," one of the two boys, with waves a big as his curly jumper, said.

"You always say that, Theo," the other lad - Rupert- said, limping.
The stocky Rupert paused long enough to wave back at the African-descendent woman with pink gems in her braids.
Then the two boys disappeared down another street.

"We need to head towards Belgium now," Theo said, his eyes turning glassy.

"Hey! don't zone out on me like that. We don't need to find these guys." Rupert rubbed his socks. They were tight and cutting off his circulation.

"No, mate, we-"

Rupert sighed. "Okay, come and tell me when you are finished, clairvoyant."

The injured teenager only used that title when he was most annoyed, or anxious. Rupert scanned the streets again, searching for the prettiest faces. Elves were the most dangerous threat to human kind around, they had grown up knowing about it. One of the few. But they knew more.
The elves liked to ignore them, the human race, and gave them a generous share of the earth. It was not for them for the reason they were paranoid. The descendants of the escaped had heard the rumours.

Vespera was back.

It spread- like a wildfire of panic among the adults. No one of her creations were safe. They were the remainder- the last survivors of latent genetic experimentation. For "elf advancement".
What they hadn't suspected many aeons ago, was that the prisoners would develop they own skills in self defence. Being Exposed to the elves power- radiation. Their bodies began to emit 'pollution' to repel them. Gassy at the base was the worse, Rupert recalled and wished he was here now. Instead of his base homeland: Russia, he had followed his friend. Away from the land everyone feared to enter.
You might have heard of it.

The Semipalat test site.
Now (one of the only to be declared) a national park out of fear.
"We have to get out of here" Rupert finished, and they headed to where a bus was waiting for them

*