Chapter 8- Councillor

Quinlin hastily took a seat in his office space where Bronte quickly shut the door behind himself and ordered Mrs Fellis to wait outside.

"Do you know where I have been?" Bronte cut to the chase.

"No," Quinlin said, folding his hands, airing patience.

"On an outbreak investigation in Amsterdam. The Black Swan, Livvy- as I am sure you are aware, has informed us of a recent elven caused outbreak there."

"I am waiting for you to state your point, Councillor Bronte. You clearly know of my work."

Bronte spun on heel. "Half of which the Council has not sanctioned! Need I remind you, Mr. Sonden, you walk on very thin eggshells."

The stern gaze of Bronte twitched. Quinlin could tell Bronte struggled and did not want to tell this next piece of news.

"Yes, I am," Quinlin inclined his head. "Which is why I need to ask, what I can do for you?"

"We both here know that Livvy holds no love for you, you don't hold your alliance to the Black Swans. Nor to the Neverseen." Bronte's eyes glinted.

"What my ex-wife's affiliations are have nothing to do with determining my own judgement," Quinlin answered, hating feeling responsible for Livvy's actions still.

Bronte sniffed his nose. "You and I are a lot alike. So where does your alliance lie? I think it lies with yourself but my colleagues in the Council seem to think your suspicious nature is trustworthy to align yourselves with us."

"With you," Quinlin repeated, not quite believing what he was hearing.

"Oh, we know about your secret research," Bronte said.

"And it has nothing to do with you unearthing it so that now even the Neverseen know of my secret workshop. It seems wherever the Council goes, the Neverseen know to follow." Quinlin's anger over the break in last night lapped over. He hated conflict but enough was enough.

"Bargh- We do keep some secrets, Quinlin, or this world would fall- into some things you aren't yet ready to remember." Another of Bronte's glint came. Turth. It was scarier. "We are not perfect but we are what protect our people and this world from war. We cannot fail in our duty. You know it too or you wouldn't have become like us, celebrate so you could devote your life to work."

"Is this your way to convince me?" Quinlin said. Saying I have given up my life to work? - positive.

"No. I am simply telling you the true state of things, and then we are asking for your help." Bronte ended, like it was the best pep talk of all time.
(It was kind of working.)

"You don't like me," Quinlin said.

"Frankly I don't like anyone much. You were a risk, now we know there's a bigger one." Bronte stated it.

Quinlin contemplated it. "Alright, what did you want me to do, and why did it activate when I searched my Spyball to see Livvy?"

"You wanted to search Livvy?" Bronte's confused buried his eyebrows. "I don't know why for that one- on multiple layers- but we needed to contact you and we want you to research the human tracking. And also events which are Gnome, Troll, Dwarf, Orge, Goblin and Elf related. Not too hard, right?"

"No trouble, a piece of mellowmelt, right?" Quinlin replied.

"Right," Bronte agreed. Then paused. "Ah, sorry if the secretary was a bit much."

Was this an apology?

"We are hoping she can remain by your side during the transition," Bronte declared at the end.

Not an apology. A 'polite' way of mentioning, 'You are still under surveillance'. A thin smile came from Quinlin, "Of course. Why else would I be risking my neck to help the elven populaces but for a small inconvenience?"

Bronte held his eye. "It's the way things are done. We will help rebuild the secret level you need to complete the research in safety- and protect what you have been working on."

"No need, I found the way they came in." Quinlin dipped his head. Mrs Fellis.

Councillor Bronte asked, "What was the method?"

"A method of laziness, I shall correct it." Quinlin bowed.
"Also, Livvy is known now for being part of the Black Swan. If it isn't inconvenient, or if you think it is necessary. Please do alert us of her whereabouts."
"Spy on her?" Quinlin repeated.
"Since you are already doing, I thought you'd be onto it. If the Neverseen know she is part of the Black Swan. She may be their next target."
Quinlin shook his head. Livvy wasn't that dumb. "She'll be fine. I'll find out how the intruders got it."
"Just say the word for any added security to your facility's, and it will be granted. You will, however need to bring it to myself to be approved."
"Of course," Quinlin said. A hole in his plans.

It wasn't Mrs Fellis as first suspected. It was a window which exited onto the front street which was the security leak. Quinlin figured it out. Someone had watched it. Someone was in Atlantis. The Neighbours of the multiple floored apartment contained many entry ports. Quinlin dipped his next to the cool sand in they background area, hidden by multiple growing trees.

The original gardens here were designed for harsh sunlight. It had been adapted to the dome-style present in the hustling city. The conversation now rattled through his head.

Quinlin muttered towards the sands, "So in summary, the Council is asking for my help. This should be interesting."

***