[025] the start of . . .

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
the start of . . .
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

( founders' day, pt

( founders' day, pt. ii  )

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Harper's POV.

It's been about five minutes, and I've had no luck finding anyone. The town square isn't even that big, so it shouldn't be taking this long. I turn around to go the other way when I accidentally make eye contact with some random man. I quickly brush off the awkwardness and continue forward.

Out of curiosity, I look back at him, and he's trailing behind me. I turn a corner to see if he keeps following me. I don't look back for a while, but when I finally get the nerve to, I spot him almost immediately even closer than before.

Oh shoot. I pick up my speed, breaking into a speed-walk. There's not a lot of people in this corner of town square, so I have to reach more people. But before I even get a chance to round the corner, the world disappears and my feet are off the ground. My breath gets knocked out of me as my back is slammed against a wall.

My mind goes into a frenzy while I try to assess what just happened. The man is now in front of me, pinning me against the wall. He opens his mouth revealing a pair fangs, and I struggle to get away. He launches his fangs into my neck, breaking the skin and inciting pain.

I let out a blood-curdling scream. I can feel my blood leaving my neck. He's sucking the life out of me. I'm going to die . . .

Suddenly, his fangs are ripped out of my neck, making me cry out. The sight before me is moving too fast for my eyes to follow. One second the man is standing in front of me, and the next he's lying on the ground lifeless with a hole in his chest.

"Oh God," I gasp, my hand automatically covering the open wound on my neck. I look up at my savior — dark hair and beautiful blue eyes. "Damon," I sigh with relief, never more happy to see him in my life.

He walks up to me and holds my shoulders. "Are you okay?" he asks.

I nod, still a little in shock.

His gaze falls to my neck. "You're hurt. Let me see." His hand gently pushes mine away. After assessing my wound, his lips press together into a hard line.

All of a sudden, loud booms and bright lights fill the sky, illuminating the alleyway that we're in.

They're blasting off the fireworks.

"Let me give you my . . ." Damon begins but never gets to finish because he abruptly pulls away from me.

"Damon, are you okay?"