[022] let loose

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
let loose
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

( blood brothers  )

( blood brothers )

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

GILBERT ESTATE
1859
*Damon Salvatore is 20 years old while Mary Gilbert is 16 years old*

There was nothing they could do. Mary Gilbert was going to die. The town doctor had diagnosed her with consumption, and they were to send her to a sanatorium that very day. 

Johnathan Gilbert had begged and begged the doctor to give him a few more days so that he could concoct something to heal her, but the doctor had made it very clear that it was too late. The bacteria had spread to a large portion of Mary's lungs that at such a late stage there was no stopping it. All they could do now was send her away, so no one else was at risk of catching her disease.

When Damon heard the news, he felt like he was going to die. Mary was his world, and he was going to lose her to something he had no control over. It was just like with his mother, present one day and gone the next.

Damon cried and cried until there were no tears left to cry.

That late afternoon, Mary hobbled out of her home for the last time. The carriage had arrived to take her away. She didn't want to leave. She would rather spend her last few days lying in her own bed, but she did not want to risk her father or anyone else getting infected.

As she closed the distance between herself and the carriage, a coughing fit erupted in her chest. She quickly whipped out a handkerchief to catch the blood. Once it was over, she folded the handkerchief over and looked up.

Damon was standing on the other side of the gate to the estate. He watched Mary with solemn eyes, another round of tears pouring down his cheeks.

He hated to see her suffering. He hated that he could not be there for her.

"Mary!" he called out longingly, unable to contain himself.

At the sound of Damon's voice beckoning her to him, Mary broke down. A river of tears fell from her eyes as her throat burned. It wasn't until now that she realized how strong she had been. Damon was her weakness, and now only a reminder of what she could not have.

She could not bear to look at him for any longer. She didn't want to think about him anymore, so she took off towards the carriage.