[014] the 50s decade dance

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
the 50s decade dance
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

( unpleasantville  )

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Monday, November 7, 2009

Harper's POV.

*Outside Mystic Falls High School, Lunch Period*

Elena, Caroline, and I are walking towards a picnic table for lunch.

"It's so pretty. Thank you," Caroline says to Elena, referring to the vervain necklace she gave her. However, Caroline isn't aware there's vervain in the necklace, only Elena and I know.

Elena gave me some vervain as well after Stefan finally got back to her about getting some vervain for me. I'm wearing it in a ruby-red celtic cross necklace. I've never been one for wearing jewelry very often, but if it's going to protect me from being mind controlled by vampires, I'll put up with it. Heck, I'll probably rarely ever take it off and treat it like it's my phone or something.

"God, it'll go with, like, everything," Caroline continues to rave about her new necklace. "What's the occasion?" she asks Elena casually.

"No occasion. Just a little friend gift." Elena says simply.

We sit down at the picnic table, me and Elena on one side with Caroline on the other. Elena and Caroline set down their sack lunches while I set down my hot lunch tray.

"Lesbian friend necklace?" Caroline suggests playfully. "Cause we're freaky like that." She adds, winking sarcastically for flare.

"Your friendship is important to me." Elena shrugs.

"Why are you being so mushy?" Caroline wonders as she takes a sandwich out of her brown sack and sets it down on the table.

"Because . . ." Elena drawls out, "you've been avoiding me." She folds her arms together on the table. "And I wanted you to know that whatever is going on with you and Matt, it's okay." She nods her approval.

"So it's true?!" I blurt out a little too loudly, referring to Caroline and Matt now being a "thing."

"I was gonna tell you guys," Caroline insists. "I was, but there's just not much to say. You know, we've hung out a couple times. That's it, but . . . I just feel like we've peeked as friends."

Elena nods, and I dip one of my chicken nuggets in ketchup and eat it.

"This is weird." Caroline shakes her head awkwardly. "I shouldn't be talking to you about this. It's weird. It's weird, right, Harper?"