[021] something there

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
something there
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

( miss mystic falls, pt

( miss mystic falls, pt. ii )

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Miss Harper Lacy!" comes Mayor Lockwood's booming voice from the bottom of the stairs, "escorted by Carson Lockwood-Hamilton."

Here goes nothing.

I lift the hem of my dress to help me get down the first step. For the rest of the way, I keep one hand on the rail as I make my way down the curved staircase. Feeling the crowd's eyes on me, my lips pull up into a wide smile.

I expect to see my escort waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs just like in rehearsal, but he isn't there.

Panic overtakes me. How could Carson abandon me like this? Where is he? Oh my God what am I going to do?!

My smile turns into a frown as I start to breath heavily. This wasn't supposed to happen. This was supposed to be my big moment. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God . . .

Then Damon comes into view. He takes Carson's place, staring up at me from the base of the stairs.

I stare back, not believing what I'm seeing, and yet . . . relieved.

Just as I'd practiced and trying to keep it together, I take Damon's outstretched hand. His fingers curl around mine, and my heart flutters.

Together, he leads me out of the building and to the dance floor. Once we reach the others, I take my place in the girls' line, and he stands opposite me in the boys' line.

This is really happening. Why is he doing this? I mean, I'm thankful, but still. Wait — does he even know the dance? Oh my God if he doesn't . . .

The music starts,

and I have no choice but to curtsy to him. He bows back.

I take the opportunity to ask him the one thing on my mind. "Do you know the dance?" I hiss.

"I do," he whispers back. "Guess you have no choice but to dance with me."

My mind flashes back to every time Damon asked me to dance and how I repeatedly turned him down. I can't believe this. I bet he isn't even doing this for me. He just saw an open opportunity, and he took it!