Twenty

Naruto's POV

A week and a half later. Finally. The final part of the chunin exams are here. Gah. I just remembered I'm up against Neji. And we were the first match, weren't we?

Sighing, I stick my hands in my pockets again. I'm on my way to the arena- and this time I decide not to shunshin over there. No need to waste precious chakra for what's about to come.

When I reach the arena, I already see people filing inside. Feudal lords, shinobi from the Sand and the Leaf, and civilians alike are all here to come witness the 3rd part of the exams. I wonder who's replacing Hayate as proctor.

I reach the upstairs level where us genin participants are supposed to wait our turn for the matches. Mostly everyone's already here. The arena is huge- there are even trees and bushes dotted alongside the walls. In the front of the arena, on a giant podium, is where the Hokage and the Kazekage will be. The old man and the Kazekage are already there, and with each of them are two bodyguards. I narrow my eyes at the Kazekage. Something's off about him... and his bodyguards...

I decide to look around to see who's here to watch as well. I spot Sand officials and jonins in one corner, Lord Baki included. Next to them are Kakashi, Guy, and the other Leaf jonins. In another corner is Kiba, Hinata, and Sakura... all who lost in the preliminaries but still came to watch. Hinata seems a bit better- she's still weak and Kiba has to help her.

I turn my head to look at the participants of the final part of the exams. Shikamaru, Sasuke, Kankuro, Temari, Gaara, Shino, Neji, and me. All accounted for.

"Sasuke." I say, grabbing his attention. Sasuke turns and walks up to me.

"During your match is where everything will start to unfold. Stay on guard." I state, and he nods. I feel my face turn slightly red. No time for feelings, Naruto. Focus.

"Attention, people of the Leaf, Sand, and beyond!" I hear the Hokage say from the Kage podium. The old man's giving his speech. We're about to start.

"Welcome to the final part of this year's Chunin exams! The genins you see today are the ones that crossed many obstacles, beared many burdens, and have worked hard to have made it to the final round. This will be a one on one fight, until there is only one left standing! Thank you all for coming- we will now start the third and final part of the chunin exams." He nods to someone down at the arena. I look down, and raise an eyebrow. Genma. So he's the replacement proctor.

Genma nods back at the old man. He turns back to face the rest of the crowd, clearing his throat. "I am Genma Shiranui, the proctor for the last part of the chunin exams. We will now start. First up- Naruto Uzumaki and Neji Hyuga!" He shouts, raising an arm. The crowd erupts in cheering and whooping- obviously excited to see Neji Hyuga of the Hyuga clan fight.

I hop down to the arena, followed by Neji. We meet up in the middle of the arena, facing each other.

"You cannot win against me- although I haven't known you for long, and you beat Kiba and his mutt fairly easily, I'm not going down against you." He sneers. I internally sigh. He hasn't changed a bit, I see. How disappointing.

"You and I are going to have a little talk about your ego right after I beat you, okay?" I sigh. "But you're right- you're not Kiba. I suppose I'll have to use my hands for this."

Neji twitches in annoyance a bit. I smirk. Let's see... how to beat him? Taijutsu? Genjutsu? Ninjutsu? 

"You know the rules." Genma says, standing between us. "Fight till one forfeits or cannot continue. Begin!" He shouts, raising an arm again.