Eight

Naruto's POV

I open my eyes slowly, waking up to the sound of birds chirping around me. Blinking, I sit up, letting my eyes adjust to the sunlight. I smack my forehead. Damn. Some dream that was. More like reliving my past.

Just then, I'm aware of the boy in the pink kimono sitting in front of me. Oh. So that was the familiar chakra signature I had felt when I woke up. His hair is long, flowing down his back, and he sits, staring at me. A basket full of herbs is placed next to him. Probably for Zabuza. This is his accomplice, no doubt.

"You're awake." He says, his voice almost a female tone. No shit, I deadpan.

"I'm Haku." He continues. "What are you doing out here in the middle of the woods?"

Sensing the tension I'm releasing, I quickly disperse it and put up a nervous laugh. "I fell asleep here while I was training! No need to worry." He looks around, probably at the trees that were burned by my jutsus from last night's training. He opens his mouth to say something, but I cut him off.

"I'm Naruto. Naruto Uzumaki." I say, changing the subject. "Who are those herbs for?"

Haku's eyes flit to the basket of herbs. "Oh- for a friend of mine. He'll be back on his feet in about a day though, don't worry." He smiles at me again. I refrain from raising an eyebrow. Careless. Throwing around info like that.

"For Momochi?"

He freezes, and his smile slowly fades. I feel his body tensing, ready to strike. "So you know?"

I shrug. "You didn't attempt to hide your chakra." I say, still keeping my innocent voice. "I assume you meant to kill me in my sleep?" He narrows his eyes.

"...I don't kill unless necessary." He says. I raise my eyebrows.

"Really? Not something you see everyday from a person who's killed hundreds." I shrug. "But you seem like a decent person, so in exchange for not killing me, I won't kill you. Hm?"

With that, I ignore his look of surprise and start to get up, sticking my hands in my pockets. "I'll see you around, Haku." I say, giving him my signature two-fingered wave as I walk away. When I reach the bridge builder's house, I sense Haku's chakra disappear. He left.

Sighing, I sit on the back porch. That reminds me. I still haven't told the old man about the rank change. And about Gato. And Zabuza. Sighing again, I send a shadow clone to him, since I'm too lazy to go myself.

Suddenly, the door to the back porch opens. I turn my head lazily, and see Inari standing by the door, his eyes widening when he sees me sitting there. In his hands is a plate with rice and bacon.

"Hi." I say. He blinks, and looks away, his face turning red.

"...Hi. I uh- brought you some lunch, since it's past noon. I was going to look for you." He mumbles. He gives me the plate, which I take gratefully.

"Thanks." I smiled at him. He fidgets with his hands.

"Um- I'm sorry about last night-" He starts. I hold up a hand to cut him off.

"Don't. It's fine. I'm sorry for yelling at you last night." I say. He brightens a bit and smiles.

"It's ok." He says, then rushes back inside, leaving me beaming. Then I turn back to the food and dig in, letting the rich taste fill my mouth. I forgot I didn't eat anything last night. Or this morning, for that matter. FOOD TASTES AMAZING, wouldn't you agree?

"Are you talking to me?"

Eh... no one in particular. But sure.

"Hn."