Eighteen

Naruto's POV

The next day. I arrive at the training grounds- on time this time. Sasuke's there waiting for me, his arms crossed. When he sees me, he raises an eyebrow.

"What." I deadpan, obviously not in the mood. He cocks his head at me.

"You seem... depressed. You ok?" He asks, concern in his voice. 

No. I just lost two of my precious people, I got no sleep, (not that I get any sleep in the first place,) I feel so stupid, like a failure, and I sorta want to die. The only thing holding me back right now is you, and I don't know why and I feel like that's stupid too, but oh well.

"I'm fine." I say instead. Sasuke frowns, like he wants to say more. But he doesn't.

"Yo." A voice calls from behind me. My eyes widen, and I spin around to see Kakashi walking up to us, a lazy smile on his face.

I... I thought he wouldn't come.

"Kakashi-sensei? What are you doing here?" Sasuke inquires, raising his eyebrows. I decide to compose myself, and stick my hands in my pockets. I turn back to Sasuke, sighing.

"Didn't I tell you he would come sometimes and help you learn chidori?" I sighed, pretending to be exasperated. My ever so noticeable depression from a moment ago fades away in the blink of an eye. Sasuke raises an eyebrow again, giving me a pointed look, as to ask- Did you tell him? About my identity, I'm assuming. I shake my head ever so slightly.

"That's right." Kakashi says, now standing beside me. "Naruto's very convincing, apparently. And I must say, I'm also impressed on his jutsu knowledge as well, to know of the chidori." We turn to each other, and share a long, awkward, pointed look. I notice that both of us want to say something about the night before, but don't have the courage too. I barely have the courage to fathom what he wants to say.

"..." I turn away first, not in the mood to talk to him right now, and he follows suit. Sasuke looks back and forth between both of us. He knows something's up.

"...Right." I say, turning back to Sasuke. "Start on your warm-ups- same as yesterday, and you can get started with Kakashi." 

Sasuke gives me a slow nod, and gets started on his push-ups.

................................................................................................................

I lean against a tall tree, away from view, as Kakashi gets started on teaching Sasuke. I see Kakashi light up a chidori in his hand, the lightning humming and crackling with life like it's supposed to- unlike my misshapen, small excuse for a chidori when I first showed Sasuke. Probably the most embarrassing thing I've ever had to go through. It's also probably the only jutsu I can't do- (of course, besides other visual jutsus.)

I let out a small sigh. I still don't get why Kakashi came. Didn't he hate me or something? Honestly, if I were in his position, I would've avoided contact with me for as long as I could. That seems to be what Sakura was doing, anyway. Then again- Kakashi is a sensei. He could've just come to teach Sasuke, regardless of his hate for me. 

I start to tune out when Sasuke starts practicing. Honestly. What's the point? The point of being here, the point of living, the point of the world?

The hours drag on. I distract myself by staring at the sunlight dancing between the tree leaves, making bright patterns on the grassy floor. I know I made that promise to Itachi not to try it again... but can't they see that it would ultimately make things better? The demon would finally be dead... a villager's lifelong dream...

"...Funny how you deny getting called a demon, then call yourself a demon. You know that's not true- you know that it's me who's the demon-"

It's not, and you know it. You were controlled. And you know that I'm the one who goes out there everyday, killing people on a daily basis without batting an eyelid.

"...Then aren't you controlled too, by the village elders and the hokage? Besides, those people most likely deserve it..."

Key word: most likely. Not 100%. Not absolutely. The elders and the old man have been wrong before. And I chose to do it. I chose to complete those missions.

"...Please stop talking like that."

"Naruto!" I hear from outside my head. Sasuke. I pop back into reality, and see him run up to me. Kakashi's no where in sight.

"Where's Kakashi?" I ask, crossing my arms. Sasuke shrugs, also putting his hands in his pockets.

"He left- said he had to take care of some things. I still learned decent amounts from him, don't worry, and he said he'll come again tomorrow." He says. I nod slowly, a bit surprised Kakashi wanted to come back. I'd half-expected he'd come every few days or so, even if he was coming back.

"Alright. We can either stop here, or do some other stuff, if you want me to teach." 

Sasuke straightens up a bit. "I think I can handle a bit more training from you." 

I nod, and start to walk past him. "Alright." I say again. "But I'll warn you, I'm not in a very good mood today."

I hear Sasuke chuckle softly behind me. "I could tell." He mumbles, and I can't help but smile a bit at that. Hopefully he doesn't see.

Sasuke's POV

Something's up. He's depressed- well, he always seems depressed, but today he seems more depressed than usual. And I thought I was depressed. 

Something's up between Naruto and Kakashi. They barely talked- not that they talk a lot in the first place, but the tension in the air was overwhelming. I don't know when I've started paying attention to these things- I barely take notice of my own feelings.

"Alright." Naruto says, after I've asked him to train me more. "But I'll warn you, I'm not in a very good mood today."

I let out a light chuckle. "I could tell," I reply, and when he smiles a bit at that, my face flushes. His smile... I would do anything to make him always smile like that. To rid him of all of his sadness.

.............................................................................................................

Sorry, short chapter today! Working out some kinks in the plot here.