Chapter 24

Tyler

There was a movie playing in the background, and I was vaguely aware that I had chosen it what seemed like a million years ago. It was dark outside my window now, the moonlight shining down across Ivory's smooth skin. He was curled up against me, his head on my shoulder and leg around my hip. His dark hair was soft as I ran my fingers through it and pushed it behind his ear.

He was perfect. Everything was perfect. In this moment he wasn't scared or in pain, he was just Ivory, fitting perfectly next to me like a puzzle piece. I love to hold him like this, to touch him gently and whisper in his ear. He seemed to like it too, it had been him who asked for a kiss, and him who had curled so close when we finally pulled apart. Now he was lying quietly, his eyes drifting closed, his breathing steady against my neck.

I had just decided that he had fallen asleep when he shifted, opening his eyes and sitting up. I followed him, sitting close beside him and waiting patiently for him to say whatever it was that he was thinking about.

Looking up at me through thick lashes, he spoke in a hoarse voice, each word coming slowly as he continued carefully, "What...what is going to-to happen to me?" "What do you mean love? You know nothing will ever hurt you here." He paused again, considering how he would explain what he was thinking, "I...what if you get tired of me? Where will I go? What will happen to me?"

Taking a deep breath, I turned to him and lifted his chin, looking straight into his eyes, "I will never, ever, be tired of you. You belong here, with me. You're my mate and I'm going to keep you safe. I'm going to make sure you feel loved and wanted and I'm going to kiss you as many times as you want. Forever, Ivory. This..." I waved a hand around the room, at my bed and blankets, and him, sitting there looking like an angel, "This is forever."

His eyes were wide, his cheeks dusted pink. I remembered the first time I had seen him, sitting on the concrete at school, scared and alone. I should have known, should have been able to tell that he was the most important thing that would ever happen to me. Now here he was, mine. Mine to protect and care for and love. My omega.

"I've never...I've never felt like this before." "Like what, baby?" He was silent, fiddling with the hem of my shirt as he searched for the word. "I love you, Tyler."

I smiled, nothing had ever sounded so good on his tongue as those words. I leaned close, making him shiver as I breathed across his neck, "I love you too, Ivory, my omega." I kissed him gently, feeling him move against me, tears on his cheeks. Wrapping my arms around him I pulled him close again as we laid back down on the covers. He fit perfectly next to me, as if he was always meant to be there.

The light from my lamp cast orange shadows around the room. Outside, cold rain pounded against the window. But here, in the warmth, with him so close, everything was perfect. I watched his face over his shoulder as his tears slowly stopped and his eyelids grew heavy again.

The credits rolled on screen, but I hardly noticed. He blinked slowly, lashes fluttering against his cheeks before he finally closed his big blue eyes. I lay there for a moment, wondering how on earth I ever got so lucky before I, too, drifted off to sleep beside him.