Chapter 17

A/N proceed with caution, contains smut ;)

Ivory

I woke up to the sound of low voices somewhere close by. It took a moment, but the beeping and low buzzing in the room reminded me that I was in the hospital, that Tyler had brought me here. Suddenly I was aware that he wasn't with me on the bed anymore, and that I wanted him to be.

Opening my eyes slowly, I saw him in a corner of the room, whispering to Dr Boone. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but the doctor looked serious, and that scared me. Was something wrong? Was I not allowed to stay here anymore? How would I be able to get better on my own, what happened if some other alpha found me? I couldn't be alone again.

Dr Boone glanced over at me and immediately realized I was awake. She stopped talking abruptly, and put her hand on Tyler's arm so he would look at me. I stared at her hand on him. That seemed like an oddly intimate gesture. Is that something normal people do, touch each other like that? I don't think I could ever do that to someone, and I definitely wouldn't like it if someone did that to me. Well, except maybe Tyler.

Tyler approached the bed side and knelt next to me. He looked me very seriously in the eyes, and I shivered under his firm gaze. Behind him, the doctor left quietly, shutting the door behind her and leaving us alone together. "Ivory, your tests came back... I need to talk to you about something very serious. But, I don't want you to be scared, I'll be with you no matter what happens."

This was what I had been expecting. Tyler has figured out how used and disgusting I was, and he didn't want anything to do with me. Honestly, how could I blame him? "Those pills you've been taking, the ones that suppress your scent and stop your heats, something... something went wrong with them. They're dangerous if someone takes them for a long time, and the tests show you've been on them for years."

Of course I had been. Things were bad enough for me without a scent or heat, they would have been so much worse if I had had them. "Have you... have you ever had a heat Ivory?" I looked away from his steady gaze, I was ashamed of myself. What kind of omega has never had a heat before? How could I ever be worthy of him? "N-no...never." I whispered in a tiny, quivering voice.

I felt a gentle hand on my chin, lifting my face so I was looking at Tyler again as he spoke, "Don't be ashamed love, you did what you had to do, you survived." He understood, he actually understood why I had to do it, even though I was trying to hide what I was. He continued, "At some point soon, you're going to have your first heat. Do you know anything about heats?"

Nodding, I shivered at the thought of what was going to happen to me. There had been a health class in school where they had mentioned heats. An omega pining and begging for an alpha, their bodies hot and writhing with need and desire. How could I let that happen to me, how could my body betray my mind like that?

Tyler's low voice brought me back down to earth, "I know it's scary to think about, but I'm going to help you, okay? In a moment Dr Boone is going to bring in some medicine for you to take to help with the healing, and then we're going to go home. I've talked to my parents... they're a little shell shocked but they promised to be out of the way for a while. Whatever happens, I'll be here with you."

The next few hours passed in a daze. I was vaguely aware of Julie and Dr Boone saying goodbye, and then there was a car ride. It was only when we pulled into Tyler's driveway that I snapped out of my spiraling anxiety about a heat. Before I knew it, I was being set down gently on Tyler's bed, sinking into the soft sheets, breathing in his scent all around me.

"I know you've got a lot on your mind," said Tyler, "why don't you get some rest, I'll be just downstairs if you need me." I nodded silently, and watched as he shut the door slowly behind him. After a few minutes of getting comfortable and snuggling into the blanket, I was fast asleep again.