End of Day 9: [Lv. 357]

My stash of mana crystals gets accidentally absorbed in its large plundering radius today. I throw all my loot into my item storage for safekeeping.

This is the day I eat my last bite of food, I've completely run out. I have a bottle and a half of water remaining, but it's not looking good...

Beginning of Day 10:

Today is the day when everything changes... I wake up to a familiar ringing sound in my head.

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

While rubbing my eyes and standing to my feet, I open my status to realize I've leveled up 3 times overnight... Somehow, I'm level 362 now. It's odd, but with my tired mind, starving body, and singular goal, I decide not to think much of it and get back to work.

Walking past Ember, the aura around its body is nearly 20m in diameter. It emanates a deep crimson hue, pulsating with intensity and filling the air with a loud hum. The floor beneath us quakes with a violent rumble. I use inspect to check on its progress.

[Lv. 362]

Odd, it's exactly the same level as me... During my training today, I hear the "level up" sound go off in my head over and over again.

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

[Level Up]

It goes off 15 more times in fact... My maximum mana reserves have risen because of the pure stat-based boosts and my swords have leveled up a good amount too.

I check my status.

I can hardly believe the number that floats at the top of the blue screen.

[Lv. 377]

I'm exhausted from my long day of training without a single but to eat. I'm on my last 1-liter bottle of water, and dreading the day it runs out.

My final test of strength goes very well. The 12500MP strike rips a 5m long and 2m wide tear in the white wall. It stays open for almost 30 seconds before sealing completely.

My mind is fuzzy and my body is weak. As I fall asleep, a few words the Dragon said about our contract repeat in my head as I drift off into a peaceful slumber.

"If one dies, the other does too. If one gains exp, so does their counterpart. It is a perfect partnership for any two like-minded monsters wouldn't you say so?"

The connection in my foggy nutrient-deprived brain finally clicks. The reason for my accelerated level growth becomes clear: I am actually sharing Ember's experience gains.

As I drift off, a faint smile tugs at the corners of my lips. Even though I'm on the opposite side of the white-walled prison, the rumbling and intense humming of the black-scaled Dragon's [Mythic Grade] plundering skill reaches my ears. It's a reassuring reminder of the strong companion that now stands by my side.