𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

song of the chapter: sad girl by lana del rey

"im a sad girl im a sad girl im a sad girl"

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"The King of Hybern is old, Rhys—very old. Do not linger," Amren warned.

"We'll be in and out before you miss us," Rhysand said. "Guard Velaris well."

       Amren studied Feyre's gloved hands and weapons.

"That Cauldron," she said, "makes the Book seem harmless. If the spell fails, or if you cannot move it, then leave. Fly well."

        We turned to Mor—whose arms were out, waiting for Feyre. Cassian and Rhys would winnow with Azriel and me.

"I'd really like to go," Eve was complaining, tears falling down her face.

"No, my love," Azriel said, shaking his head as he held her face in his hands. "It's too dangerous. And we need you here. Keep Johanna safe." She nodded while he wiped the tears from her face. He kissed her goodbye, then pulled away.

"I'll be fine—we'll all be fine," Feyre promised, kissing Rhys.

"With my life, High Lord," Cassian bowed. "I'll protect her with my life."

"Yo también," I promised.

"With all of our lives," Azriel assured.

       It was satisfactory enough to Rhys—who at last looked at Mor. She nodded once, but said, "I know my orders."

      And we were off. Toward the landmass we were now approaching. Hybern. No lights burned on it.

       Around a bend in the coast, built into the cliffs and perched above the sea, was a lean, crumbling castle of white stone.

       Not imperious marble, not elegant limestone, but  off-white. Bone-colored. Perhaps a dozen spires clawed at the night sky. A few lights flickered in the windows and balconies.

      We swept in toward the base of the cliffs to the sea door before a platform. Mor was waiting, sword out, the door open.

        Azriel and I reached her first, landing swiftly and silently, and immediately prowled into the castle to scout the hall ahead. Mor waited for them—her eyes on Cassian as he and Feyre landed.

       The passage ahead was dark, silent. Azriel appeared a heartbeat later. "Guards are down." There was blood on his knife—an ash knife. "Hurry."

       Any time they reached a crossroads, Cassian and Azriel would branch out, carefully and quietly killing anyone we needed to.

       We found another stairwell, leading down, down, down— Feyre pointed. "There. It's down there."

       Cassian took the stairs, Illyrian blade stained with dark blood. Neither Mor, Azriel, nor I seemed to breathe until Cassian's low whistle bounced off the stairwell stones from below. I put a hand on Feyre's back, and we descended into the dark.

       Cassian was standing in a round chamber beneath the castle—a ball of faelight floating above his shoulder.

       And in the center of the room, atop a small dais, sat the Cauldron. The Cauldron was absence and presence. Darkness and  whatever the darkness had come from. But not life. Not joy or light or hope.

      It was perhaps the size of a bathtub, forged of dark iron, its three legs—those three legs the king had ransacked those temples to find—crafted like creeping branches covered in thorns.