𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖎𝖛𝖊

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

song of the chapter: night by frank ocean

"shooters killing left and right. workin through your worst night"

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

    I was on my knees in front of her throne again, her hand in my hair. I was doing all I could to keep my face neutral.

    Feyre was thrown at the foot of the dais.

"You look positively dreadful," Amarantha told the girl. She turned to Tamlin, still at her side. "Wouldn't you say she's taken a turn for the worse?"

   He didn't reply.

"You know," Amarantha mused, leaning against an arm of her throne, "I couldn't sleep last night, and I realized why this morning. I don't know your name. If you and I are going to be such close friends for the next three months, I should know your name, shouldn't I?"

    Feyre stared at her wide eyed, not saying a word. I felt Amarantha's hand release the tight grip on my hair.

"Come, now, pet. You know my name—isnt it fair that I know yours? After all, youve already learned the consequences of giving false names."

   I'd felt guilty letting Amarantha torture an innocent girl, but I was not going to sell Feyre out.

"Rhysand," Amarantha said—not needing to raise her voice to summon him. Rhys bowed to her. Amarantha lifted her brows. "Is this the girl you saw at Tamlins estate?"

"I suppose."

"But did you or did you not tell me that girl," Amarantha said, her tone sharpening as she pointed to Clare, "was the one you saw?"

"Humans all look alike to me."

"And what about faeries?"

"Among a sea of mundane faces, yours is a work of art."

     I almost groused at the words, but quickly remembered where exactly I was.

"Whats her name?" she demanded of Rhysand.

"How would I know? She lied to me."

"If you're inclined to play games, girl, then I suppose we can do this the fun way," Amarantha said.

     She snapped her fingers at the Attor, who reached into the crowd and grabbed someone. They yanked Lucien forward.

    Lucien thrashed against the Attor but could do nothing against those needlelike nails as it forced him to his knees. The Attor smiled, releasing his tunic, but kept close.

    Amarantha flicked a finger in Rhysands direction. Rhys raised an eyebrow.

"Hold his mind," she commanded.

     Lucien went utterly still, sweat gleaming on his neck as Rhysand bowed his head to the queen and faced him.

"Her name, Emissary?" Amarantha asked of Lucien.

      But Lucien only glanced at Tamlin before closing his eyes and squaring his shoulders. Rhysand began smiling faintly.

"I thought you would have learned your lesson, Lucien. Though this time your silence will damn you as much as your tongue."

    Lucien kept his eyes shut. Ready—he was ready for Rhysand to wipe out everything he was, to turn his mind, his self, into dust.

"Her name?" she asked Tamlin, who didnt reply. His eyes were fixed on Luciens brothers, as if marking who was smiling the broadest. "I dont suppose your handsome brothers know, Lucien."

"If we did, Lady, we would be the first to tell you," Eris said.

"Fine," she sighed. She took my hair in her grip again, and yanked back. I whimpered. "I'm sure your darling sister will do just as well."

    I sent a pleading glance to Rhys. He knew how much I despised him being in my head.

"Feyre!" the girl shouted. "My name is Feyre."

    She let go of my hair and Rhys stepped back. It was all I could do not to sigh in utter relief.

"Feyre," Amarantha said. "An old name—from our earlier dialects. Well, Feyre. I promised you a riddle."

    I wanted to scream. I knew Amarantha wouldn't make this easy. But Feyre could not fail. If she did, I would likely have Rhys kill me himself.

"Solve this, Feyre, and you and your High Lord, and all his court, may immediately leave with my blessing. Lets see if you are indeed clever enough to deserve one of our kind."

There are those who seek me a lifetime but never we meet,

And those I kiss but who trample me beneath ungrateful feet.

At times I seem to favor the clever and the fair,

But I bless all those who are brave enough to dare.

By large, my ministrations are soft-handed and sweet,

But scorned, I become a difficult beast to defeat.

For though each of my strikes lands a powerful blow,

When I kill, I do it slow

"Think on it," Amarantha said consolingly, and flicked a grin down at her ring—at the eye swiveling within. "When it comes to you, I'll be waiting."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

     The door to my cell creaked open again for the first time in a few days. Rhys had left me alone since the last time we'd talked.

"She completed the first trial," he announced, sitting by my side. A wave of relief soared through me.

"Good," I nodded. "That's really good."

"Astraea. I'll make sure you get out of here," he swore. "And then you can go back to Velaris."

     He wrapped his arm around me and I allowed myself to rest my head on his shoulder. It felt wrong. I was the one who was supposed to comfort him. It was never the other way around.

     I'd taken care of Azriel, Rhys, and Cass for as long as I'd known them. I'd held all three of them while they'd cried countless times. I did not allow myself to be weak in front of them.

"Are you okay?"

"No."

   Though I felt considerably better now that I knew Feyre had held her own in the first trial. Only two more, and we could be out of here.

"I made a bargain with her," he announced. "To heal her arm. She's coming to visit us in the Night Court for a week every month. If we survive."

"That's so manipulative," I informed him. "You're an asshole."

"So I've been told," he chortled.