CHAPTER 13

Silver fangs gleamed in dim light.

Red optics bore into her own blue eyes.

"Give me the AllSpark", rasped a deep, hungry voice.

Claws flew at her.

And she screamed.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

"'M awake, 'm awake", Amalia drawled groggily, picking up her vibrating phone. The screen glowed with several panicked texts from Bumblebee.

Sorry, Bee. I fell asleep while unpacking. She quickly texted back, cheeks burning in response to uttering a white lie. She didn't like lying to any of the Autobots, but she didn't trust Bumblebee to handle the truth calmly after what had happened the last time she told him.

Optimus arrived some time ago. The scout texted back. You wanna come down or do you want him to come up?

Tell him to stay down. I'm coming. Amalia texted, then tossed her phone onto the pillow. Grabbing her still-filled bag, she pulled out a tank top, bolero and skort and changed into them. She tied a black bandanna dotted with blue skulls around her neck, then slipped her feet into a pair of wraparound sandals and combed her hair until it shone under the fluorescent lights.

The corridor was empty, and for once, Amalia secretly wished she could have opened the door to Lennox or Epps waiting for her, or maybe even her mother. She hadn't lived at the base in years, and the atmosphere of the place now felt overwhelming. Loosening her bandanna, she tore down the corridor and stopped the moment she crossed the hangar doors.

"Sorry, I'm late", she panted, bracing one hand against the closed doors as she caught her breath. "Did I miss anything important? I'll make up for it somehow, I promis"-

"Woah woah, easy there kiddo", a deep, cheerful voice reassured her. "Did you run all the way here"?

"I...yeah, I did", Amalia replied, taking ahold of the sterling silver servo held out to her. "I'm sorry, Jazz...I don't know how to say this. I shouldn't have kept you all waiting"...

"There is no need to apologise, little one", a deep, gentle voice boomed, and then another servo ran itself along her back gingerly. "You have not been here for a long time. It is only natural that you are still not familiar with this place".

Amalia relaxed into the touch, warmth flooding her chest and face as she looked into the serene blue optics of the leader of the Autobots, Optimus Prime. Red flames streaked a deep blue chest and pair of arms, and bulky feet stepped down carefully on the shiny blue floor. Two blue-grey finials twitched like rabbits' noses, and long, slow ex-vents rumbled through a power-packed frame.

Ironhide waved Amalia over to his spot on a large container, and the girl skipped over to him. Chromia jumped down from his shoulder and no sooner had she put both wheel-pedes on the floor did her granddaughter scoop her up in a hug. The Suzuki femme protested a bit, but eventually leaned into the embrace.

"Did you get bigger since I last saw you"? she asked, taking Amalia's face into her servos to get a closer look at her.

"Why, abuela? Did you expect me to stay small forever"? Amalia teased, scritching her grandmother's helm. "But yes, I did get taller".

"And stronger"! Arcee chirped, jumping onto Amalia's shoulders at that moment and throwing her arms around the girl's neck. "Got room for two"?

Amalia shifted Chromia to one arm and reached the other one around to pet the Kawasaki femme. "I was wondering when you'd show up".