CHAPTER 8

There were little ways one could reason with a distressed femme.

But it couldn't be avoided when the femme in question needed medical evaluation.

Ironhide couldn't remember the last time his daughter had been this feisty, save for the one time she had absolutely refused a bath and had to be chased around by both him and Chromia before their son had caught her and hauled her back to the washracks, and even then she had calmed down once the warm water had worked its magic on her.

Right now, however, he supposed he couldn't blame her for being distressed after what she'd heard a few hours earlier.

The message from Blackout had been broadcasted in the base, and safe to say, nearly everyone was in a state of either panic or worry now after hearing it.

The moment the helicopter landed, Sarissa literally jumped out, springing herself a few feet across the landing pad, and scarpered for the blast entrance doors without so much as a 'no time' in reply to the confused personnel whom she had barely managed to miss colliding into on her way out. Lennox, Epps and Figueroa disembarked a few minutes later, the latter utterly bewildered by the femme's sudden burst of energy.

"If that ain't dedication, then I don't know what is", he managed to utter, still in shock.

"Dedication or not, we're gonna have to wrangle her back to Ratchet before she grinds her limbs off", Lennox replied coolly.

Epps was about to ask how when familiar shrieks rang out across the hangar.

"Ack! Put me down you tall scary freak"! came Sarissa's voice, anxious and audibly irritated, then a sudden yelp as the sudden clang of metal on metal was heard.

"Oho, so I'm a tall scary freak now and not your sire"? Ironhide asked her teasingly. Lennox noticed Sarissa clutched securely (but gently) in his fist, and his fingers rubbing against each other not unlike someone who had just flicked something.

Or someone.

"This is not the time for your corny jokes, old man"! Sarissa growled at him, wriggling in an effort to get out of her father's grasp. "Amalia's in danger and I have to go to her immediately"!

"She isn't home. Not yet, at least", came a familiar voice, and everyone turned to see Vector walking up to them with Chromia beside him.

"Vector"! Sarissa purred, extricating herself from Ironhide's servo and bounding up to her husband in two strides, giving him a quick hug before mouthing off. "Where's Amalia? Is she alright"?

"She's doing fine, mi vida", Vector assured her. "She's out with one of her friends. They should be home by now".

"Meanwhile, you have to go and see Hatchet", Ironhide reminded her, earning him a hard glare from his daughter at his questionable nickname for the Autobot CMO. "Not that I would encourage it, unless you're injured".

"Who? Me? Pfff, I just have sand in my joints. It's nothing I can't handle", Sarissa brushed him off, shaking a few loose grains from her frame. "Right now, I have to get home quickly. Lia needs to be warned in advance".

"Will she be staying at the base"? Chromia asked.

"We'll see how it goes", Lennox replied, then gazed at his gloved hands. "Honestly, I was thinking of surprising Lia on her birthday too, but not like this".

"Fate rarely calls us at a suitable time, Señor", Vector reminded him. "But that doesn't mean we can't try to change or play along with it".

"Either way, tell Amalia about the message and ask her what she wants to do", Chromia explained, then took her daughter's hand and drew her closer. "And, Sarissa"?