CT: Chapter 17 "One Single Second"

C and Ryuko both sit on one of the giant chains overlooking the courtyard as they eat lunch. C looks over at Ryuko after he swallows the food in his mouth. "So where's Mako?"

"She said she was going to eat lunch with another one of her friends."

"Oh. Good for her." They continue to eat when suddenly a voice speaks behind them.

"Good afternoon, Matoi and C." Ryuko groans and C turns to the voice. He sees a boy wearing the no star uniform with glasses and black hair covering his left eye. C leans towards Ryuko and whispers.

"Who's he?"

"He worked for the school paper, and he's been bothering me all day."

"My name is Shinjiro Nagita, and you can trust me." C scoffs and stands up in front of the much smaller male as Ryuko does the same.

"That's a crappy introduction. I wouldn't trust you as far as you can throw me. What do you want?"

"Like I've been telling Matoi all day, I worked with the school paper and I learned that Satsuki Kiryuin is using Honnouji Academy to turn her students into soldiers!"

"Buddy, everyone here is dripped out with uniforms designed to fight in. Of course everyone here is being trained to be a soldier."

"I know that seems obvious from your perspective, but the no stars don't see it! Well I couldn't sit by and let that happen! The disciplinary committee didn't like the article I wrote, so they censored it before I could get it out to all the students! The press is powerless against tyranny!" Nagita pulls his own hair in frustration as C tilts his head. "I've gotten on the Student Council's bad side, and I've been banned from campus ever since!" Ryuko sighs in annoyance.

"Yet here you are."

"Yes, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone." C nods.

"No problem, but what does this have to do with us?"

"There is no freedom of speech at this school, and no one has the guts to stand up against Kiryuin! But then you both showed up! You both beat the Elite Four, and now it's time Honnouji Academy had a revolution! With both of you leading us, we can take down and end this dictatorship once and for ALL!" Ryuko rolls her eyes in annoyance as C starts laughing. "What's so funny?!" C continues laughing for a while before stopping.

"Look, we aren't here to fix your or anyone else's problems. We're here for information, and as soon as we've got it from Satsuki Kiryuin, we're going to kick rocks."

"You would just sit here and let injustice run this school?!" C and Ryuko share a look and both give their answers.

"Yeah."

"Kinda."

"I thought you people were heroes!"

"Ex hero, personally."

"I don't fight because I wanna! I fight because it's the only way to avenge my father! Now get that through your head and leave me alone!" Ryuko pushes the boy making him fall backwards. He looks up at Ryuko who simply glares at him. He gets up and walks away, leaving C and Ryuko alone. She walks back to her spot and sits down with C following right behind. He stares at her, and she looks up to see him holding out his lunchbox. She notices she knocked hers on the ground and sighs. She takes a piece of tempura from the box, but C places the entire box on her lap. She tries to hand it back, but he places his hands on her's and shakes his head.

"Take it." She does as he said and starts eating the food while he just sits there. She holds up a piece of tempura on her chopsticks to him, and he eats it. She stares in a direction, zoning out. "What's wrong?"