Chapter 31: unexpected acquaintance

------------✧♡✧-------------

I remained silent, staring ahead of me.

"I just think you shouldn't  lie to Sunghoon about it. It won't make it any better.".

I finally exhaled to say something on the subject. "That wasn't the plan at all, either. I was going to tell Sunghoon about it earlier, but somehow...fucking hell, I don't know.". I slid down in my chair.

"You are scared, right?" he laughed.

I chewed on my lower lip. "It's just, I didn't expect it to happen. That I would really start to like her. And I don't know how Sunghoon will take it if I tell him. Like, he's definitely not that type to simply accept it.

"No, he really isn't", agreed Jake. "This dude has a huge aggression problem, if you ask me.".

"It's not aggression. He just has an overprotective instinct. He's always been that way, it's just never really been as present as it is now.", I explained.

I knew my best friend now for almost 19 years and even back then in elementary school he would have fought with other people to protect his sister. Although he insisted again and again that this wasn't true and that he had practically freed her for all the boys in the world, we all knew that this was a lie.

This was probably due to the fact that for years in his childhood he witnessed his father abusing his mother and treating her badly for years. Sunghoon never wanted the same thing to happen to his younger sister.

"I've never understood this kind of thing. If he's your friend, then he should also trust you.", said Jake and reached forward to grab a bowl of snacks that was still sitting in the middle of the table.

But I shook my head. "That's not the point. I think in this case, he just doesn't want Hyeo hanging out with us all the time.".

This time, the younger one nodded. "And romantic relationships within the friend group change the relationship between each other. That's a fact.".

"What would you do in my place.", I asked him and leaned my head back.

"Hyeona is important to me, you know. So I would ask her what she wants. Sunghoon is her brother and she can best judge what the consequences would be if the thing between you two become public.", I nodded slowly, understanding the point he was trying to explain. "I mean, for you Hoon is just a friend, but for Hyeona it is her own brother.".

***

[Hyeona P.O.V]

Kathy glanced over at me in wonder, as she noticed me staring down at the display of my phone for a good 20 minutes now. "Are you waiting for it to jump up and walk away?".

I only hummed in response, my feet swinging in the air.

"Oh riiiight! It's 20 past 11.", her face contorted pitifully. "Did you try to call him?".

"Two times. He ghosts my messages. He read it 2 hours ago.", I mumbled incomprehensibly, almost half asleep. "And 20 minutes ago he read the second message and didn't reply again.

"He is probably just busy and forgot about it. Don't worry.".

I unlocked my phone slowly and opened Snapchat, but nothing again. Only a single purple dot that popped up in the app and represented a video that had been sent. Unimpressed, I opened Jay's video and was amazed at what I saw.

Tense, I propped myself up on my elbows and replayed the video again. Actually, I never did that, because a notification is sent to the person. But at the moment, I couldn't care less.