Chapter 20: can I kiss you?

------------✧♡✧-------------

Heeseung suddenly got up from his spot, and I glanced up at him in confusion.

"Your mom is already worried." He smiled wryly. "I don't wanna be that guy that brings his girl home late.".

He grabbed the two empty pizza boxes and threw them down from the roof first. Shortly after, he jumped down himself.

I remained on my spot as if frozen.

Did Heeseung just called me "his girl", or am I hearing things?

Naah...I'm hearing things for sure!

"Are you coming?", I heard his voice from below, which tore me out of my thoughts.

Immediately, a huge smile appeared on my face and I bounced around in circles like crazy a few times and squeaked silently to myself before I exhaled and left the roof as well.

„What did you take so long?".

I couldn't stop grinning. "Nothing.". I answered briefly and succinctly, before we made our way back to the car.

But with every step, with every meter, reality kicked back into life. Walking quietly next to Heeseung, after a really successful date, for nothing? I got absolutely nothing out of it except pain. At the thought of the coming Monday, my stomach twisted inside of me. But I knew deep inside that it was the right decision. I needed to get away from it all, because I would only destroy some people's lives.

When we reached the parking lot, I wordlessly took a seat in the passenger seat and stared blankly through the windshield into the dark forest.

It's your own fault, Hyeona. You should never have agreed to this date. I can't tell him, not yet. No one knows anything yet. Not even mom. How can I bring myself to do that?

"Are you okay?" asked Heeseung cautiously, as he must have noticed my drastic change in mood, and I was now trying to avoid his gaze completely.

"Yeah. Yes, I am.". I faked a small smile and gave him an encouraging nod. He shouldn't feel bad. Heeseung had done absolutely nothing wrong at all. The only one who did something wrong was me.

As he drove across the parking lot, back onto the lighted street, I notice tears inevitably welling up in my eyes. I tried with all my might to make them disappear by blinking, but quickly realized that I couldn't stop the silent tears from rolling down.

Therefore, I quickly turned my head in the direction of the window and supported my arm on the backrest. It would be easiest if I just pretended to be asleep.

The whole ride, I did not look up even once. Wiped a tear from my cheek occasionally and tried as best I could to calm down before I arrived home.

"Are you asleep, Hyeo?". I felt Heeseung lightly nudge my arm as the vehicle came to a stop.

I slowly looked up, hoping so much that my crying face and probably puffy eyes were not visible.

"I'm just a little tired.". I answered quietly, fortunately sounding normal. Relieved, I reached for the belt to unbuckle myself.

"I just wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed the date today, even though not everything went as planned.". Emotionally, I glanced up at him, but quickly looked away when our eyes met for a moment.

"I hope you liked it too, and we can go on another date soon.". The seat belt quietly retracted, which was the only sound in the car.

"Um yes. Definitely. I really loved this date.", I answered honestly, almost tearing up once again. "Thank you so much, Hee.". I added and reached for my cell phone in the center console.