Chapter 22: reconciliation

------------✧♡✧-------------

But instead of crossing the street to Jungwon's house, I walked past it, towards the bus stop. Sure, I wanted and needed to talk to him, but not yet.

I don't know why, but it felt like the worst day I've ever had. My mood was at its lowest point. The last few years, my birthday was always a fun day. Even though I never really hosted a real party, that day was reserved for Jungwon and me. He always came up with cute ideas and activities for us to do. And now? Now I'm walking here by myself. It's my fault that he's mad at me. I broke my heart myself, and my brother ignores me and only thinks about his girlfriend, who I don't even know. I just want to lie down on the floor and hope that this day will end quickly, and I can disappear to America.

Where I was on the way to right now? To the beach again. Of course. As always.

The only difference today was, that it was a sunny Sunday morning, which logically prompted some families to take a beach trip. Damn. I knew I forgot something.

Sighing, I slumped my shoulders and turned around again before I had even stepped onto the small path of wooden planks that led across the hot sand just like a bridge.

"Hey Hyeo!" a voice suddenly called from behind me, and I wheeled around curiously.

My mood immediately brightened when I recognized Siu, who was probably jogging a lap along the beach. She looked flawless, as always. Not a single strand of hair fell out of her tight ponytail, which she had threaded through a cap to protect herself from the sun.

"It's your birthday today, right?" she stopped next to me. Sweat beads glistened on her forehead, barely visible.

"Yeah, it is.". I fumbled around my messy hair, since I just stormed out of my house, without getting ready or changing my clothes at all. I was a little uncomfortable when so many people knew about my birthday. After all, it had never really been a real issue in the last few years.

"Aww. I really wish you the happiest day.", she tapped my shoulder, because she obviously didn't want to hug me with her sweaty body. But she immediately noticed that something inside me was off.

"But uhm...are you all right?", she squinted her eyes and observed my face, while I was trying to pull out my best fake smile. "Stop grinning! I know you are not.". Without hesitation, she grabbed my arm and pulled me along, away from the beach.

"Siu honestly. I'm fine! You don't need to interrupt your sports session just because of me.". I followed her only reluctantly.

"Of course I will interrupt it, when a friend of mine isn't feeling well.", she smiled at me and sat down on a bench, a few meters away from the beach.

Only now I realized I was still wearing my pajamas. Fortunately it was just an oversized t-shirt and joggers, and not a real pajama like the snoopy one that day.

"Okay tell me! Why is my birthday girl sad on her special day?".

I sighed before answering her. "I had a little argument with Jungwon yesterday. And now he's ignoring me.", I explained.

"Oh shoot. Why? About what?".

I hesitated at first, but realized quickly, that Siu would find out about my absence anyway. So I decided to tell her what was bothering me. "I will leave Korea tomorrow. And go back to the US to finish High School there.".

She stared at me with her mouth open. Gradually, however, I was already used to this reaction. "Oh gosh. I didn't expect something like this.".

"Yeah I know.", I smiled wryly. "I kept it secret for a pretty long time. I've told my mom about it just a few days ago. Sunghoon still has no idea yet.".