Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Gu Xiaoshan never dared to believe in such a sudden and spectacular love.

He returned to his office. Actually the matter was not very troublesome, and he finished settling it before dawn. Xu Yunyun asked if he wanted to return home, but he said he would just stay and sleep in the company, then Xu Yunyun left for home herself.

The view from the president's office was always fantastic. His view from the windows were high up above, but not higher than the neon lights from the city. When everything fell silent, the garish and brightly coloured lights all looked very cold and distant. In his lounge, Gu Xiaoshan took out a cigarette and sat by a small round table. On the table was a half-empty glass of liquor, and his phone.

As though he was bored stiff, Gu Xiaoshan picked up his phone. The phone recognised his face, and automatically unlocked the screen. Unconsciously, Gu Xiaoshan opened the social media app, and selected his most recent chat, in it was a whole string of messages from Renzi. Renzi's words were clumsy, and did not have any order. Gu Xiaoshan rested his chin in his hand, looking at these silly messages, he could not help but laugh. When he laughed, the vibrations affected the burning cigarette dangling between his fingers. The ashes suddenly fell and burnt him slightly. In pain, he curled up his fingers, and became a little more sober, then placed his phone face down on the table.

He looked at the clock on the wall. It was already very late, he should take a rest.

Gu Xiaoshan was a person with great self-discipline. No matter how late he slept, he would be able to wake up on time the next day, then run on the treadmill for thirty minutes, and finishing up with two sets of weight-lifting exercises. He would then shower, have his low fat nutritious breakfast, and read the news. Everything was done systemically, and the steps never changed.

He had never requested the same of others. However, those who had knew him for long all knew, only self-disciplined and sharp people like him would find it easier to be in Gu Xiaoshan's good graces. As for those who were more lazy and indulgent, they would find it difficult to get Gu Xiaoshan's recognition. A few days ago, someone even heard Xu Yunyun joke with a new secretary, "Dragging your feet along like this, without any orderliness, and you still want President Gu to like you? You think you're President Ren?"

This morning, Gu Xiaoshan fell into a trance on the treadmill. Unconsciously, he wanted to text Renzi if he had woken up already, whether he had a headache from last night's drinking. However, upon picking up his phone, he immediately placed it back face down.

Gu Xiaoshan was sorrowful.

Then, the phone vibrated by itself.

Flipping over the phone, Gu Xiaoshan saw another string of messages.

"Good morning, Brother Xiaoshan."

"Are you there, Brother Xiaoshan."

"My head hurts, Brother Xiaoshan."

In the end, Gu Xiaoshan still could not hold himself back, and sent a reply. "Then why did you wake up so early."

Renzi's response came near instantly. "Because I heard you like people who wake up early."

"Silly." Gu Xiaoshan then put down his phone again.

Gu Xiaoshan's heart suddenly sped up, it must be because of his running.

Feeling dizzy, Renzi got up and drank some beer. His brother happened across him, and he nearly got hit. Yu Yuntao scolded, "You're still drinking!"

"This is a "revival beer". Drinking it with a hangover, it'll be like fighting poison with poison."