• 45 ~ They'll Leave Us Behind •

Credit: https://twitter.com/rokuon_/status/1589502825100611586?t=eSmSubFy-t8GecmRtGgp1g&s=19

• • • ᯽᯽᯽ • • •

[Y/n POV]

"Greetings to Her Majesty, the Tsaritsa."

The harbingers bowed to the Cryo Archon, with the long array of Fatui members following the same fashion.

Among them was Y/n, who was right beside Scaramouche with their feet growing cold. They did not know if the Tsaritsa was staring at them, and simply chose to keep their head low.

The freezing hall of Zapolyarny Palace was as they remembered it to be, and the longer they stared at the floor, the more they remembered of the previous times they'd been here. Still, they tried to keep their senses grounded.

"The expedition group for Inazuma has returned, Your Majesty." A fatuus relayed to the Tsaritsa. The silence that followed made Y/n sweat.

The Tsaritsa looked around, before responding. "I see. Then, has the electro gnosis been retrieved?"

She smiled at Scaramouche, almost as if she knew he had the gnosis in his possession.

Scaramouche silently exhaled and presented the gnosis to her. "For the advancement... of the benevolent goal of Her Majesty."

In a flash, the Tsaritsa took it from his hands. Y/n could notice his eyes flicker as the gnosis' presence left him, almost as if he had given away something that he thought as his. There was conflict written on his face, as if he was convincing himself to not dwell on this 'loss'.

"Balladeer." The Tsaritsa called.

Chills went down Y/n's spine. Contrary to them, Scaramouche looked up with a composed demeanor. "Yes, Your Majesty."

"I don't see your satellite. What was his name?"

"Aless." Scaramouche nodded. "And yes. He fell victim to one of our operations."

Y/n kept their head low while bowing, but the mention of Aless in such a casual way made their heart break.

"Interesting." The Tsaritsa brought her finger forward in thought. "And I reckon that 'operation' concerned saving your previous satellite." She smiled. "I do not sense the curse on them anymore."

Scaramouche froze, before he gazed sideways at Y/n. "There were complications. Y/n's survival was merely an unexpected consequence."

"I see. So must I assume that you have failed the task I gave you."

"I'm afraid so." Scaramouche gestured to Y/n, trying to quickly move on from that. "On the other hand, Y/n has decided to surrender themself to the Fatui, and serve like a true satellite despite their imperfections. That was an unknown variable, and I felt it wisest to bring them here."

The moment the Tsaritsa heard that, she leaned back in her throne. "Oh?" She laughed. "The only role Y/n could fill is as your satellite. I will remove those imperfections if you so wish."

Scaramouche chuckled. "In the past, I would have supported that decision. However, after much thinking, I strongly feel that Y/n's 'flaws' should be kept."

"And why is that?"

"Well," He paused. "Like you said, a person of my past would find it easier to work with a faulty satellite. I was in denial, and could not see your thoughtfulness and wisdom in that decision, but I have come to my senses now."