Chapter 12- Come & Talk To Me

Brielle's POV
April 1991 ( 3 weeks later)

"Ugh Ember, I don't know what to do . I haven't heard from him in 3 weeks," I whispered as the realtor rambled on and on about the house that we were currently touring . This was the 4th house today and it just so happened to be a few blocks over from Devante' .

I swear it wasn't planned . It just sort of happened . I gave the realtor my price range and this house happened to be in that range and it's the house that I was feeling the most when she showed me pictures of different houses in the area . We just saved the tour for last so I could compare and contrast it with other houses that we'd viewed previously today .

"Girl, didn't you say y'all were just friends ? Friends don't necessarily speak on a daily basis," She whispered back as she tried to listen to the realtor explain something about the granite counter tops in the spacious kitchen . "Plus I told you to just call him . He's probably just been really busy. You know , he does have other artists to produce and write songs for," She reminded me . I could tell she was just trying to make me feel better . She knew just as much as I did that he was avoiding me .

The other night when I stayed at his place, he came back the next morning acting all funny . He acted as if he was in a rush to get to the studio and hurriedly took me back to my hotel room . The whole car ride there was quiet . I gave up trying to spark up a conversation with him because he was giving me dry, one word responses . It was as if his mind was a thousand miles away which I thought was weird given the fact that we went to bed after having a great make out session . I also didn't want to seem as if I was sweating him which is why I didn't try calling him again after he told me that he would let me know when he was ready for me to get back in the booth and produce some more songs . Well that call never came and it's been 3 long, boring weeks .

"Well, what do you think," the realtor asked me shaking me out of my thoughts . I forced a smile and told her that I loved the place . Which I really did . It wasn't too big and it wasn't too small either . It also had a pool and a jacuzzi in the back that I was really excited about . I tried to tell myself that the real reason that I was so in love with this house wasn't the fact that I was only a block over from Devante' but I knew that I would be lying to myself .

Unbeknownst to Ember, once we finished this house tour, I was going to pop up at Devante's house to see what he's up to . I knew there was a 50/50 chance that I wasn't going to like what I saw when I got over there but I just had to know why he was all of a sudden acting so funny . He's literally the reason why I'm even here in New York since it was his bright idea to record a demo and play it for Andre and have me move out here . He was my biggest supporter so I didn't understand where the sudden distant attitude came from but I was going to find out .

I'm so glad my car was finally shipped over from Texas because I was tired of having to call cabs . I like being on my own time & with that time today , I was about to investigate some shit .

"Well Mrs. Woods, has your mind still not changed ? This is definitely the house for you ?" The realtor asked me snapping me out of my thoughts once more .

"Yes mam, it is . I'll take it !" I said excitedly .

"Well, come down to my office and we can sign the paperwork," She said giving me a warm smile .

"Ummm , actually do you mind if I come in the morning ?" "Something unexpected came up and I have to handle that first," I lied trying to sound as if I was disappointed.

Ember shot me a confused look before raising her eyebrow in suspicion .

I avoided eye contact with her as I focused my full attention on the realtor .